Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Deck over concrete patio


I have a 6-8 inch concrete patio in my backyard that is in good shape (no cracks) but unsightly. I want to build a deck right on top of the patio. The deck won't be elevated more than a few inches over the concrete. My questions are as follows:
-First of all, are there any problems that might arise by building the deck right on top of the concrete?
-I was planning on using either 4x4's, 2x4s or a combo for the frame. Any suggestions?
-What should the spacing (length and width wise) be for the frame (How far apart should I space the 4x4's/2X4's)
-How should I secure the frame into the concrete?
-I was planning on using Trex for the decking. How far apart should the planks be spaced? I assume they shouldn't touch each other, but want them relatively close with minimal spacing.

Thanks for the help,
Paul


Last edited by PAmbrose; 03-10-2010 at 11:40 AM.
PAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Deck over concrete patio


If the deck will be connected to your house you need to put footings in so the deck can't rack from frost, don't secure it to the patio as that is most certainly independent from the house, and if one or more of your footing locations fall on the concrete patio you will need to bust open the concrete to dig for a sono-tube.

naehring2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Freeport, ME USA
Posts: 120
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Deck over concrete patio


If this deck is going to be right on the concrete patio that you say is 6-8 inches thick and in good shape, I would use pressure treated ground contact 2X sleepers right on top of the patio. I would not attach the deck to the house in case there is any patio/deck movement. If that patio is as thick as you say it is, I certainly would not bust through the patio to put in sono-tubes unless required by your local codes/code enforcement officer.
meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Deck over concrete patio


As long as you don't attach it to the house you could build it on top of the patio
I assume you are located in PA ?
How many inches is a few inches ?
I might build a frame out of PT 2x4's & use brackets & tapcons (or something rated for concrete/outdoor use) to secure it
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Deck over concrete patio


Quote:
Originally Posted by meboatermike View Post
If this deck is going to be right on the concrete patio that you say is 6-8 inches thick and in good shape, I would use pressure treated ground contact 2X sleepers right on top of the patio. I would not attach the deck to the house in case there is any patio/deck movement. If that patio is as thick as you say it is, I certainly would not bust through the patio to put in sono-tubes unless required by your local codes/code enforcement officer.

Right I wouldn't bust through the concrete for sono-tubes either as long as its a free floating structure not attached to the house, of course unless your local codes require it.
naehring2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Deck over concrete patio


I'm actually located in MA. I'm not going to attach the deck to the house. My plan is only 4 inches elevated off the patio. Is there any reason to use 4X4s over 2x4s for the frame? How far apart should I space the brackets if the frame is 20 feet long
PAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Deck over concrete patio


No reason to use 4x4's...just more contact with cement
Build a 2x4 framework for the Trex decking
Might want to do a search for "Trex " on this site 1st
People have had problems with it

Concerns with deck on patio:
Water needs to be able to run off, so existing patio has to be sloped right
Ventilation under the deck...don't want mold growing - ties into slope of patio
If this faces South the sun will dry it out pretty quickly
Anything that falls thru the deck will not be able to be retrieved very easily

Rather then decking that can rot eventually (or Trex that can fall apart)
I think i'd put in patio block
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (03-11-2010), PAmbrose (03-11-2010)
Old 03-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Deck over concrete patio


Thanks a lot. I appreciate the help
PAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Deck over concrete patio


Pambrose-
Hello, I am a representative from Trex and came across your post. There would have to be a sleeper system between Trex and any solid surface such as your concrete patio. A sleeper system is a buffer between the solid surface and Trex. Drainage, access and airflow are critical. Water must be able to flow through and away from the deck.For repairs and removal of debris, joist system access is necessary. Good airflow will keep the decking dry and good-looking. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance. I can be reached at 800-BUY-TREX or question@trex.com.
Pat M-Trex Company
Pat M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 447
Rewards Points: 262
Default

Deck over concrete patio


are you doing this project? i am planning something similar.
joetab24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Deck over concrete patio


A stone patio or paver layer would be a more permanent and need less attention then a wood deck.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Deck over concrete patio


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat M View Post
Pambrose-
Hello, I am a representative from Trex and came across your post. There would have to be a sleeper system between Trex and any solid surface such as your concrete patio. A sleeper system is a buffer between the solid surface and Trex. Drainage, access and airflow are critical. Water must be able to flow through and away from the deck.For repairs and removal of debris, joist system access is necessary. Good airflow will keep the decking dry and good-looking. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance. I can be reached at 800-BUY-TREX or question@trex.com.
Pat M-Trex Company
Can you send me somewhere that shows step by step on how to build a deck over concrete patio with sleepers? Not fully grasping the idea. Video would be great or pics are fine too. Also, lots of concerns with lil critters under the patio...any ideas on ways I can eliminate them living under the deck. I'm trying to keep as low of a profile as possible with our deck, maybe 4". Also, the deck will be going over concrete and extending over some grass areas which I'll be using concrete supports in those areas.
pberr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Deck over concrete patio


I am going to build a deck over my concrete patio. After reading many blogs I have found that a floating deck is the best choice for me. My patio is 3 concrete steps (which I will be covering with PT wood) down from my back door. My Bilco bulkhead door is 8 inches above patio level. My only option (feasibly) is to build a floating deck about level with the top of the bottom concrete step. This would put the level of the deck about 3 inches above concrete patio level. I have determined that PT 2 x6 framing , 16" on center for 5/4 x 6 PT decking, will work, supported by concrete blocks (in lieu of floating deck piers- too high for my project). This will allow water to escape and dry out. I will be using screening to keep small animals from getting under the deck. The deck, 20 x 24, will extend beyond the concrete patio by 3 ft onto grass. Here I will dig out grass/sod, lay screen and rocks (provide drainage for any water collecting under deck. The concrete patio is 30 years old and has settled a little. I don't expect further settling. The deck will have a slight pitch away from the house.
Welcome any suggestions.
joedelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Deck over concrete patio


Quote:
Originally Posted by joedelli View Post
I am going to build a deck over my concrete patio. After reading many blogs I have found that a floating deck is the best choice for me. My patio is 3 concrete steps (which I will be covering with PT wood) down from my back door. My Bilco bulkhead door is 8 inches above patio level. My only option (feasibly) is to build a floating deck about level with the top of the bottom concrete step. This would put the level of the deck about 3 inches above concrete patio level. I have determined that PT 2 x6 framing , 16" on center for 5/4 x 6 PT decking, will work, supported by concrete blocks (in lieu of floating deck piers- too high for my project). This will allow water to escape and dry out. I will be using screening to keep small animals from getting under the deck. The deck, 20 x 24, will extend beyond the concrete patio by 3 ft onto grass. Here I will dig out grass/sod, lay screen and rocks (provide drainage for any water collecting under deck. The concrete patio is 30 years old and has settled a little. I don't expect further settling. The deck will have a slight pitch away from the house.
Welcome any suggestions.
The way you describe the construction would put enormoue weight on the concrete slab. To expect no settling is not logical.
I would recommend cutting through the concrete at various places and pouring footings below the frost line. The number and location of these footings would need to be planned out.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Deck over concrete patio


Ron, I appreciate the comments. However, I should have said that the concrete patio has done its settling after 30 years. We built the patio digging down to stable gravel, compacted and re-enforced with wire and the concrete was high psi commercial grade. As far as weight disbursement, I planned on using concrete blocks for support (much like the precast deck piers) under the deck framing. I forgot to mention that I may have to secure the deck to the concrete to meet code. But it still has to be a floating deck.

joedelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
concrete, deck, decking, frame, patio


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
steps up from concrete patio annrose Landscaping & Lawn Care 2 09-10-2009 07:07 PM
Depth of Concrete Piers for A Deck marathonman Building & Construction 3 05-18-2009 04:22 PM
Concrete Patio sah Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 07-13-2008 07:27 PM
Concrete Form for Raised Patio PerpetuallyRepairing Building & Construction 6 04-08-2008 06:33 PM
Average price of deck and patio in Northern VA? Bimerman General DIY Discussions 2 05-12-2007 10:23 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.