Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #1

Share |

deck over concrete pad

Hi Folks,

My spring project is to replace a set of stairs leading to our back door with an 8x8 deck, with stairs. The stairs are on top of a concrete pad and I was hoping to bolts the 6x6 posts to the concrete pad. But when I got my permit the guy said that the concrete can move and it'd be better to cut out a section of the pad and put a footing in. I'd only have to do two footings, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. My question for all of you is, would it be ok if I had a ledger attached to the house and two 6x6 posts bolted to the concrete pad below. Has anyone had experience with concrete pad moving and messing up a deck that was bolted to it? I'll get some pics for a better idea of what I'm talking about...

Thanks...

brcocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

deck over concrete pad

Quote:
Has anyone had experience with concrete pad moving and messing up a deck that was bolted to it?
Ayuh,... If you get Frost,...
Concrete pads, without footers Will move, regardless what it's bolted too...
Or what's bolted to it...

Last edited by Bondo; 03-08-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #3

deck over concrete pad

How many risers on the stairs? Can you secure them to the top and let the bottom float?
masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

deck over concrete pad

In my town, the rule is that a deck of any size requires footers to support the columns. A pad is not acceptable. I happen to agree with this approach, the columns hold up the deck, and failure of the column/pad connection could result in collapse, which would be a bad thing.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #5

deck over concrete pad

So here is the location of the new deck, any other thoughts on building it? I was going to leave the other concrete pads alone, not sure why they are there, but I will be cutting the bottom of the three "pads" and putting two 48" footings... Lord willing.
brcocar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck concrete pad