Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #1

Share |

Deck Ledger Question

I am planning on replacing my existing deck, which was built along with the house in 1964. The current deck joists run into the house and are "sistered" to the floor joists of my kitchen. Thus, I currently do not have a deck ledger. I am planning on cutting off the old deck joists flush with the exterior wall sheathing. My question is this - what would be the best method for anchoring the new ledger? My deck is approximately 10' off the ground and due to the concrete patio underneath I do not want to use posts near the house to support the ledger. Since this part of my house only has blocking between the floor joists (and not a rim joist) I was thinking of using 1/2" x 5" lag screws to anchor the ledger into the floor joists and/or the old deck joists that will be cut flush with the sheathing. Is this structurally sound? If not, what would be "best practice" aside from using support posts next to the house?

Assuming this is a structurally sound way to go, should I lag screw the ledger to every joist? My deck will run approximately 25' along the back of the house so I should have roughly 16 joists to screw into.

Thanks in advance for you help!

Greg~

Greg D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #2

Deck Ledger Question

page 9

http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/fliers/F-DECKCODE09.pdf

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Mod

Deck Ledger Question

Sorry Greg but I don’t like your plan. If you run a ½” lags into the end of a 1 ½” joist it will just split out the joist, not a strong connection.

You said your existing deck joist are sistered to the joist of the house, are the house joist sitting 1 ½” back on the wall, like there used to be a rim there?

You really need the joist cut back and add a rim that’s sits fully on the wall so when you lag to it the load of the deck gets transferred to the wall.

You could cut the joist flush to the wall and block in between but a rim would be better.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 04-07-2010 at 11:54 AM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #4

Deck Ledger Question

do you have access to the existing joists, perhaps from a basement? If so use joist hangers from the inside to build out a ledger board. But ya I don't like the plan either. Also this might be a silly question but why not rebuild it similar to how they had it before? If it's lasted this long...
nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #5

Deck Ledger Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
Thanks for the link! I think the Deck Tension Tie is exactly what I need.

Greg~
Old 04-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #6

Deck Ledger Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Sorry Greg but I don’t like your plan. If you run a ½” lags into the end of a 1 ½” joist it will just split out the joist, not a strong connection.

You said your existing deck joist are sistered to the joist of the house, are the house joist sitting 1 ½” back on the wall, like there used to be a rim there?

You really need the joist cut back and add a rim that’s sits fully on the wall so when you lag to it the load of the deck gets transferred to the wall.

You could cut the joist flush to the wall and block in between but a rim would be better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateo View Post
do you have access to the existing joists, perhaps from a basement? If so use joist hangers from the inside to build out a ledger board. But ya I don't like the plan either. Also this might be a silly question but why not rebuild it similar to how they had it before? If it's lasted this long...
Thanks for your replies,

Kwikfishron,

I currently have blocking in between the joists. So, if I understand you correctly, it would be better to screw into the blocking than the end of the floor joists. I too was concerned about splitting out the ends of the joists but I was also concerned that just screwing into the blocking wouldn't be strong enough laterally. I think screwing into the blocking along with the deck tension ties (see the link from jlhaslip's post) is the way to go.

Nateo,

Using a similar design as the existing one sounds easier than it is. Although I have easy access to the deck joists from inside my basement, almost all of them have electrical, plumbing and/or natural gas lines running through them. Thanks though.

GD~
Old 04-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
Mod

Deck Ledger Question

I must be missing something. The DTT2Z Deck Tension Tie ???

Old 04-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #8

Deck Ledger Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
I must be missing something. The DTT2Z Deck Tension Tie ???

Maybe it's me that's missing something but as I understand it, screwing into the blocking will transfer the load of the deck to the wall of the house, and the Deck Tension Tie will help secure the lateral load of the deck, preventing the ledger from pulling the blocking away from the house. Not knowing how securely the blocking on my house was was nailed into place I was concerned about the lateral load. Maybe my concerns are not warranted? I have seen a number of pictures of decks that have pulled away from the house and obviously I want to prevent that. Thanks again for taking the time to consider this.

GD~
Old 04-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #9

Deck Ledger Question

Kwikfishron,
If you look at page 9 of the link that jlhaslip gave there is a deck to ledger section view that shows these pieces being used in conjunction with a 1/2 inch threaded rod -- I think that is what he is referring to using
meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
Mod

Deck Ledger Question

"I would" 1) knock out the blocks, 2) remove the cantilevered joist, 3) add a rim, 4) fill in the sheathing, 5) cover in 30lb felt, 6) lag bolt a deck ledger and build a deck.

"You can" cut off the cantilevered joist flush with the blocking (not the sheating). But 4-6 stay the same.

"I would not" hanger joist directly off the house.

And don’t forget to get some flashing on top of the ledger and behind siding.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 04-08-2010 at 08:06 AM.