Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,014
Question

deck ledger flashing installation

i bought some deck ledger flashing at HD, it is brown on the exposed side and L-shaped. was curious if it is enough to just nail it with hot-dipped nails or what to do. also was wondering if it should be installed before or after setting joists (i reckon before would be easier but just asking).

thanks

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

http://www.lancova.com/deckinfo.pdf

http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/...eckarticle.pdf

Gary

amakarevic (02-06-2011)
Old 02-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
Contractor - Renovations

Rewards Points: 250

You'll want a membrane under the flashing... like some kind of bitumus stuff like vycor.

I think I remember you saying that you had no building paper to tie it in with.

If that were the case I would attach the ledger with a gap from your sheathing with spacers so that the moisture that does get behind your cladding if it gets to the ledger will have an airspace to dry out.

I like to play carefully, so this is how I would do it if I had no existing house-wrap and wasn't installing any soon:

Sorry if it looks complicated... i tried color-coding it

Spacers:

or

I didn't look at the links in the post above, but I trust GBR provides good info. I am just adding what I would do since you don't have house wrap to tie into.

Last edited by fungku; 02-06-2011 at 06:31 PM.
fungku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fungku For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (02-06-2011)
Old 02-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #4

my ledger is installed on a concrete ledge that goes between the sliding door and the ground. so i don't have any spacing between, i simply affixed the 2x8 ledger to the concrete ledge using 3/8x5-1/2 bolts and anchoring epoxy. the ledger goes directly against the concrete.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #5

i mean, how bad is it not to have spacers and have the ledger go directly against the concrete?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #6

the document above does not call for any spacers underneath the ledger, section 10. because, i mean, you have the flashing to prevent water from going between the ledger and the wall so the spacing for drainage may be overkill.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Hd sells protect wrap for behind the ledger they don't however sell a flashing to put on top of the ledger that won't cooties when using pt word.
dvatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

some inspectors won't let you use a spacer
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:12 AM   #9
Contractor - Renovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
some inspectors won't let you use a spacer
Depends on your local codes. For a deck under 24" there generally wouldn't be any problems, otherwise you would be required to have the connection engineered.

For concrete there's no worries. Unless you are worried about your concrete rotting.
amakarevic (02-07-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 01:59 AM   #10

now, let me ask you this: the deck actually spans between the house and the shed, some 90". so, instead of a house ledger and a girder on the open side, it actually has two ledgers, one on the house and the other on the shed. since the shed is W.I.P. as well, i thought the shed ledger might be firmer if affixed straight to the shed studs before the sheathing is hung. see the photo attached.

do you think this is a good idea or not ? one downside i can see is that i will have to kind of trim the flashing's 2-side because the 2x8 is sticking out only 1.5" - 17/32 but that's not a big deal. any other problems you see with this solution?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
deck ledger flashing installation-shed_ledger.jpg  
Old 02-07-2011, 02:02 AM   #11

if you absolutely think the flashing should cover the entire 2 side of the ledger, it is not too late for me to rip the sheathing i hung above it (only one OSB pane hung so far, more to go). but if you think that only 1" of the 2 side sticking out is OK and to adjust the flashing for that, i don't mind doing it.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:08 AM   #12

also, it hasn't been answered what to use to fasten the flashing to the ledger (what kind of fasteners). thanks!
Old 02-07-2011, 02:29 AM   #13
Contractor - Renovations

@ the shed use a flashing membrane (peel n' stick) down the wall and over the top of ledger then nail metal flashing over that, then overlap the building paper on the shed over the flashing.

You don't fasten the flashing to the ledger, you fasten it to the wall.

IMO, it would have been better to sheath the whole wall and then attach the ledger, but in the end it's only a shed. generally, the sheathing is the lateral bracing of the wall (stops it from racking)

Last edited by fungku; 02-07-2011 at 02:34 AM.
amakarevic (02-07-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #14
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,082

The idea of using spacers between the ledger and the house and/or shed is a very good one, I regret that I did not use spacers for my house. However, I did use Ice and Water Shield (Grace product) against the house fully extended above and below the ledger, which seemed to work well, especially since the ledger lock bolts seemed to self seal when penetrating the water shield.

As for the flashing, that should extend up at least six inches above the ledger, mine extends about 10 inches above, and is nailed into the house high up. I caulked each nail hole with silicone. The flashing is bent around the ledger, and does not actually touch it. I think this is important, since I used aluminum flashing (typical Home Depot product), and I have read that aluminum reacts poorly with the copper in treated lumber typically used for ledgers (ACQ treatment). Another option is to put some ice and water shield over the top of the ledger board, under the flashing. But as noted previously, you do not want to nail the flashing to the ledger, this can only lead to trouble.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (02-07-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #15

Question

so are you saying that i don't need any flashing on the house side because the connect material there is concrete ? and also, what kind of nails should i use for the flashing on the shed side ?