DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Deck Ledger Connection Question

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  concretemasonry 
#1 ·
I am planning on adding a deck to my house and have found something interesting I do not quite understand.

I have a concrete foundation about 10" above ground and then a transition to a brick. My Ledger board should cover about 4 inches of the concrete and 6" of the brick. I drilled a pilot hole through the brick, and am able to hit the air gap and then get to my house joist. The odd thing is there is about a 3" air gap. I am assuming this is for the 2x4 framing. I have seen posts where people are using a carriage bolt assembly to connect through the house joist, but will I be ok to use a 1/2" diameter by 10" carriage bolt. I am thinking 10" because I have the 2x10 ledger, 2 1/2 " thick brick, 3" air gap, and 2x10 house joist giving about 2 inches for the washer and nut.

I also based on spacing requirements of joist connections would like a 4" anchor bolt on the concrete.

Please comment on this will give the structural stability I need for the ledger.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

- Fred

See less See more
#3 ·
Building a ledger supported deck is not a great idea because of the structural and moisture problems. - Especially with a brick veneer where a void is required.

Some areas do to allow ledger supported decks and only permit free-standing decks.

You will get no vertical strength out of 10" bolts with a 3" gap in the middle. What is going to prevent the ledger from collapsing the air space to nothing as you tighten it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.