Deck Ledger Board Penetration - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Deck Ledger Board Penetration

I want to install a bath vent in my basement bathroom. The spot the vent needs to exit would bring it out throught my band joist and Deck ledger board (2" x 10"). The problem is the point of penetration is right below a door opening onto the deck. I am afraid it will compromise the integrity of the deck.

I was considering either another ledger board in the concrete foundation below this spot, spanning the opening or possibly a 4x4 spaning the area. Is this sufficient? How far to either side of this vent would be enough? If anyone has experience with this type of problem, I could use your comments.

Thanks,
Woodog

Advertisement

Woodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

Deck Ledger Board Penetration

this can be done, ive done it several times, the key things to keep in mind are adding extra bolts next to the hole so the ledger doesnt sag. and to inspect the ledger flashing plus properly caulk the penetration once the vent is in so no water leaks inside the house

Advertisement

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote