Deck Ledger Board Attachment Higher Than Rim Board - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Deck ledger board attachment higher than rim board

I am attaching a ledger board to the house that sits higher than the rim board. I know that a free standing deck is better, but in this case there is a roofed storage area blow the deck, so a free standing deck is not possible.
When first researching I found suggestions of blocking between the wall studs. Then I found lot of post not recommending this. And suggested attaching to the wall studs.
So this is what I have done and wanted to know if anyone noticed any issues with this. I tend to over engineer my project which is much better than just meeting the standards.
Also it should be noted I live in an unincorperated county with no inspectors.
The ledger board is a 2x12 southern yellow pine the total length is 28ft. I first fastened it with ledgerlocs 3 per foot after talking to the legerloc support. These were in a pattern hitting not only some the studs, but the blocking as well. Then after reading blocking was bad. I went back and located the studs (after the hangers were on). In the studs I put at least one ledgerloc in and some 5" wood screws. On a few studs I actually got two ledgerlocs in. Studs are 2x6. I used wood screws as I found portland, OR building codes and they recommend these screws when attaching to studs. I also did some checking and found that the bottom row (2" from bottom) of the ledgerlocs I put in went in to the sill plate in most cases and not the blocking.
So not only do I have blocking in between the studs and 3 ledgerlocks per foot. I also I have attached to every stud with at least 1 ledgerloc and one or more 5' wood screws. And each joist hanger is put in with 16d stainless steel nails at 3" long. This ledger board sit on the wall about 1 foot above the concrete wall. The roof ledger is just above the concrete wall.
All materials have been rated for treated lumber.
BTW this ledger board is about 2" above the ledgerboard supporting the roof rafters. And I not only flashed under the ledger board, the ledger board itself, put "L" flashing under the house wrap and secured the top of the "L" flashing with more self sticking flashing, then covered it with siding. So water has to go through the siding, house wrap, "L" flashing, and another layer of flashing before it even reaches the ledger board. Then yet another layer of flashing before it gets to the sheeting. Roll flashing venders probably like me a lot.
I hope I have explained it well enough.
thanks

Advertisement

Davenger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ledger board