Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Deck Ledger Attachment

Hello folks. This is my first post here after years of reading.

I'm getting ready to build a small 12 X 12 deck. I've read through this site and a bunch of other places, enough to get a degree I think. Still have a few questions.

The deck will be self supporting with posts at the back and front. I still think I need a ledger for lateral support.

The bandboard on the house is only 2X8, with a double sill underneath. The problem is that if I put a 2X8 ledger in line with the band board, the deck surface will only be a couple of inches below the bottom of the screen door. That's 5" higher than the existing deck. We get a lot of snow and I've been trapped inside in the morning after heavy snow before, it would be a lot worse with a higher deck.

I was wondering if I could use a 2X12 ledger, level with the top of the band board and hanging down over the sill plates. Then attach the joists to the bottom of the ledger. This would still be a little higher than my old deck but only an inch or so. Would I then screw it onto the bandboard, or put screws in the bottom of the ledger into the sill plates?

And will the above be OK with the planning people?

I would have liked to not have a ledger at all. But there is only about 6" of post between the pier and the beam, which I don't think is enough to attach angle bracing. The regulations seem to want bracing to go 24" in both directions. Is there a way around this rule?

Incidentally, everyone I spoke to laughed when I said I was going to get a permit. I just fancied doing it though. I read enough enough horror stories about folks who didn't get permits, some of them on this site.

Thanks for your help. This is a great place and you guys are heroes.

I've been making drawings of everything on Microsoft PhotoDraw for my permit application, I'll attach pics of my old ledger and what I want to do as jpg's.

cheers Mick
Attached Thumbnails
Deck Ledger Attachment-new-ledger-12.jpg   Deck Ledger Attachment-old-ledger-side-view.jpg  

Mick Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 12

Deck Ledger Attachment

Why don't you go in and talk to the code officer? I talked to my guy extensively before building my deck, he was very knowledgeable, very friendly, and had all kinds of good ideas. It was well worth the $250 or so in permit fees. You can probably do exactly as you proposee, but only if the code official agrees. He may have some other ideas that would work also.

By the way, a lot of people prefer building decks without the ledger, since attachment of the ledger is probably the most difficult part of the job to get exactly right, what with flashing etc. And with your deck being so close to the ground, the official may waive the requirement for cross bracing, or may have an alternative approach to counteracting sway.

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Deck Ledger Attachment

That's fine.
Let it hang down that much.
Lags.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #4

Deck Ledger Attachment

You can use a 2x8 ledger and lag into the sill plates they are more than capable of handling the load, we've done it on numerous occasions.
And ALWAYS get a permit.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robertcdf For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (02-22-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #5

Deck Ledger Attachment

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm going to call the planning office next week. Seems like the thing to do. You can study the subject forever but stuff still comes up that isn't in the books. Like lagging a ledger onto the sill instead of the band board. Every picture I've ever seen of a ledger shows it in line with the band board. I'm sure any deck builder would know the answer I got here, but I'm aiming to do it myself. Since I can't afford a contractor it seems like the inspector is a useful guy.

I work maintenance at group homes. Around 40 altogether. I've done some repairs on decks. Since I started trying to figure out how to build my own deck I've looked over every deck in those group homes, and I don't think I've come across one that is even close to meetings the regs as I understand them. Including new ones we've had built since I started working there. Several are based on the old time style of nailing 2X6's around the outside of the posts and nailing up some joists between the 2X6's. None of the railings are up to code for sure. Most of them are just floppy posts with a 2X6 along the top and a 2X4 half way down. None of the stairs have graspable handrails. And that's in places that cater for disabled folks. I'm going to ask my boss if I can do some upgrading work this summer so I can spend time outdoors. The State has cut funding for the disabled so much we have to do everything on the cheap.

Mick
Old 02-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 14

Deck Ledger Attachment

Mick -

Contact the code office before you go too far. Some municipalities (more every day) do not allow ledger supports for decks. This because the very small separation (usually 1/2" maximum?) eliminates the complex flashing that may be required and also eliminates the differential settlement between the house and the outer posts. Mold and moisture problems are the main concerns because the inspector gets the blame and not the DIYer that cheated or screwed up.

I like ledger attached decks because eventually most will be a potential job for moisture intrusion, wood rot and mold. For collapses, I then work for the insurance companies that have clients on the collapsed decks. I suspect the insurance companies now may be pushing for free-standing decks to limit liability.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #7

Deck Ledger Attachment

Thanks Dick

"differential settlement between the house and the outer posts"

That rang some bells. I guess that's why the regs say the footings for the piers next to the house have to be at the same depth as the wall footings. I can imagine the back piers trying to rise up with the frost and pulling at the connection between the house and the ledger. Or the front piers like you said. And I was thinking what a pain it would be to dig down to locate the house footings. I live behind a levee and when the river gets high the ground water comes up to surface which probably makes everything unstable anyway.

It does seem like there are a bunch of good reasons not to attach a deck to the side of the house. I figured some ways of producing angle bracing with a short post. And maybe the inspector will give me some suggestions.

I did plan to ask the inspector if I could put a roof on my deck. I assumed that would make it more necessary to attach the deck to the house since the roof would have to be attached to the house wall to make it stable and have a waterproof join. Or would it. Is there such a thing as a flexible connection? Maybe I'll invent one and get rich.

A roof not attached to the house might tend to take off in a strong wind. See what the inspector says. If I really want a roof maybe I ought to bite the bullet and hire someone who knows what they are doing, unless the inspector is really helpful and willing to provide free planning and engineering assistance. I'm pretty handy and I'm sure I could build the thing as long as someone tells me how to do it.

cheers Mick
Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #8

Deck Ledger Attachment

Mick, oftentimes you can have someone design and draw blueprints for you, those should get you the instructions that you can follow (as long as you can read blueprints) You can hire an architect or you can contact deck builders, I've done a few designs for others on occasion.

robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote