Deck Ledger - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Deck ledger

Hello Guys
My name is Kris and as you can see I'm new to this forum
Currently I'm building a deck. It will be 5 ft of the ground and we will replace window with sliding doors. A guy who is gonna take care of that told me to build the deck first and then he will install doors. He said it betters to do it that way so he will now how high or low mount them.
My question is how I should mount a ledger so after all is done he will not have troubles cutting out hole and mount the doors? Should I install ledger so after all decking will be flush with subfloor?

Advertisement

Pysiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Deck ledger

If you have reached this point with no plans showing both you and him everything... with full measurements, I predict you are in for some disturbing and costly surprises.

Advertisement

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Deck ledger

I have plans of the deck. Just don't know if the top of decking should be flush with subfloor or maybe 1" below for drainage.
Pysiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,698

Deck ledger

I'd be listening to Willi T with both ears. You may have deck plans but it seems as if you don't have the important part, the details.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Deck ledger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pysiek View Post
I have plans of the deck. Just don't know if the top of decking should be flush with subfloor or maybe 1" below for drainage.
Won't your ledger already be the thickness of the decking below the threshold? (Or even lower, as the top of the ledger doesn't have to match the joist heights.) And there should be no drainage problems with the actual decking, itself.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,516

Deck ledger

I usually set the deck down about 4 inches. It is a small step, and yet large enough to be noticed (not a tripping hazard).

It helps prevent problems associated with snow, wind driven rain, leaves or other trash causing problems with the threshold or an exposed track.

IMO, the only reason to set the deck level to the threshold would be for a wheel chair user.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

Deck ledger

I agree with Oso, about 4 inches low is good. I set the top of my deck 3-1/2 inches below my finished floor, worked out nicely. Minimizes splash.

Assuming you are going to use Simpson brackets to attach the joists, there is some flexibility with the ledger. The top of the ledger can be several inches lower than the bottom of the deck boards, I am not aware of any specific code requirements for setting the elevation of the top of the ledger. Assuming you are following the Prescriptive Residential Code, there are all kinds of requirements related to the dimensions of the ledger, method of attachment to the house, flashing and joist sizes, which will set some reasonable limits on exactly how you place the ledger board. By the way, you can build a deck without a ledger, many on this forum recommend it, as it prevents the potential for leakage into the house due to improper flashing of the ledger. Of course this requires extra sonotubes, so there are cost tradeoffs, and you will need additional cross bracing.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 380

Deck ledger

We build our decks a full step below the finished interior floor. If there are stairs off the the deck we make the rise into the house the same as the rise on the stairs.

Advertisement

Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote