Deck Leaks Even With Z Flashing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2012, 02:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Deck leaks even with Z flashing

Hi guys, (sorry I will post some pictures on this issue tomorrow). I have a walkout deck/balcony. It looks like water is leaking to my basement wall thru the deck. (the whole wall is wet - this is where the ledger attached). The house is L shaped so my walkout deck is attached to the L shaped ledger. The deck has Z flashing installed I noticed the water leaks more at the L corner of the deck so my question is:

If the Z flashing is installed. Is there any other ways the water can come in?

Because of the L Shaped ledger/deck, I noticed the Z flashing is overlapping each other at the L corner, would this cause the leak?

Can the water get underneath the Z flashing and leaks behind the ledger board?
Thanks

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Deck leaks even with Z flashing-small_pix_deck.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by newbieguy; 06-13-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Adding a pix
newbieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

it could. This is why we use ice and water membrane behind the ledger and then flashing over the deck ledger board. It is also better to space the ledger board away from the building at least 1/2"

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 672

Or make them free standing.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguy View Post
Hi guys, (sorry I will post some pictures on this issue tomorrow). I have a walkout deck/balcony. It looks like water is leaking to my basement wall thru the deck. (the whole wall is wet - this is where the ledger attached). The house is L shaped so my walkout deck is attached to the L shaped ledger. The deck has Z flashing installed I noticed the water leaks more at the L corner of the deck so my question is:

If the Z flashing is installed. Is there any other ways the water can come in?

Because of the L Shaped ledger/deck, I noticed the Z flashing is overlapping each other at the L corner, would this cause the leak?

Can the water get underneath the Z flashing and leaks behind the ledger board?
Thanks

Thanks
depending on the direction of the decking boards it is usually easiest to pull up a few deck planks to expose questionable leaky area and find the fix. with the decking out of the way you can see what is going on where the deck is attached at the house.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
depending on the direction of the decking boards it is usually easiest to pull up a few deck planks to expose questionable leaky area and find the fix. with the decking out of the way you can see what is going on where the deck is attached at the house.
The issue is that my wall is stucco..it's not easy to take out the Z flashing (is it??) .. but yes, I will pull up one or two planks closer to the flashing to take a look

Last edited by newbieguy; 06-13-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #6

Hi guys, I just added a pix of my deck. My observation:

The flash doesn't look flush, could water leak in under the flashing to the ledger area.

Should I bend the flash down ward a bit so that the water can flow outside?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguy

The issue is that my wall is stucco..it's not easy to take out the Z flashing (is it??) .. but yes, I will pull up one or two planks closer to the flashing to take a look
How high was the stucco cut above the decking to properly flash it?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #8
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

stucco can be a tricky wall to get flashed correctly if the stucco guy did not flash it correctly in the beginning or if the deck was built with improper flashing.

Last edited by hand drive; 06-14-2012 at 12:13 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
stucco can be a tricky wall to get flashed correctly if the stucco guy did not flash it correctly in the beginning or if the deck was built with improper flashing.
I agree. I think as long as the flash is behind the tar paper then that should do the trick but for my case, I might have to cut several inches of stucco to confirm if the flashing is indeed behind the tar paper. I was searching the net and noticed guys installed the flashing in front the tar paper, is this acceptable? I didn't think so but I'm not expert in this field.

Btw, another question, other than slight color differently, for stucco, can a contractor cut several inches and redo the stucco just for that part. I don't want to redo the whole wall just because of the flashing.

We had quite a heavy rain today for 2 hours and I went down to the basement and checked my wall where it was wet before. It was perfectly dry...now I'm puzzled. Is there any tests I should perform? I was expecting some water leakings after this heavy rain. I will post a picture of the deck after the rain.

Advertisement