Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #1

Share |

deck with future in mind

I want to design and install a deck, and then at a later time, put a 3 season porch on part of it. I would like the floor of this the enclosed porch to have interior wood flooring. Can I install this flooring directly to exterior decking when time comes? Any concerns or suggestion would be awesome.

Mac

mav375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #2

deck with future in mind

I'm not sure what you are describing ......

a porch is a partially enclosed structure with a roof. Typically open on three sides.

You say three season porch so I'm not sure if you are meaning a porch, or if you are describing an enclosed room that would only be used in the spring, summer and fall. It may contain lots of windows.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #3

deck with future in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
I'm not sure what you are describing ......

a porch is a partially enclosed structure with a roof. Typically open on three sides.

You say three season porch so I'm not sure if you are meaning a porch, or if you are describing an enclosed room that would only be used in the spring, summer and fall. It may contain lots of windows.
Yes, then, a fully enclosed porch, with windows, screen. I don't want just a deck floor at that point. I will install vap barrier under deck with insuation below, then place the wood flooring.
mav375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #4

deck with future in mind

It would be far better to remove the decking when your ready to enclose the room.
Pressure treated decking is going to to cup and bow, pressure treated anything needs ACQ approved fastners, if not there just going to corrode off shortly.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Bill Kearney

deck with future in mind

And make sure the structure is engineered as it would have to be to support the added materials. Windows are heavy and that'd put a lot more load on it. That and there's the risk of added weight from more furniture and people.
wkearney99 is online now   Reply With Quote