Deck Footing Question?? Have Drawing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Deck Footing Question?? Have Drawing

Hello all

This may be an easy answer for most off the pros on this site. But I am getting conflicting answers from people I know outside this awesome community.

I have a current deck right now that is 16 x 10. One 16 side and one 10 side are attached to the house. it is held up with 3 4 x 6s on poured concrete footings, supporting a 16 x 8" 3 ply beam 2 feet in from the front. This deck is 4.5 feet off the ground.

I want to add a 16 x 14ft deck at the bottom of the stairs of this one. This deck will only be about 1.5ft off the ground giving us a nice patio table set area.

Question is I was going to pour 3 more cement footing for the bottom deck furthest away and tie the ledger board on the other side into the existing posts. Will this work? or should I pour 3 more and not attach the 2 whatsoever?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Deck.pdf (14.9 KB, 71 views)

Advertisement

bigbearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd pour additional concrete piers and float the deck in the lower position.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 552
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Yup, I agree with Ron, make it separate.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
Solutions (handyman)

Rewards Points: 260

I know your area, I'm near Alberta Beach. You could do either, but I would agree with the other gents. Primary reason is for general support and the possible shifting due to the frost. If you are going with the pilings, be sure you go deep enough as our climate is cooler than most. Good luck.
Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harvey View Post
I know your area, I'm near Alberta Beach. You could do either, but I would agree with the other gents. Primary reason is for general support and the possible shifting due to the frost. If you are going with the pilings, be sure you go deep enough as our climate is cooler than most. Good luck.
I was hoping not to have too drill more holes than I needed I hate drilling posts.. lol

But I was already in agreement with doing the 6 and keeping it separate for the same reason. 36" is what I believe the others were poured too.. might have been 48.. not entirely sure but I can phone him since he did the deck and fence for the developer. The deck hasn't moved one bit.. actually a nice deck.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearz View Post
I was hoping not to have too drill more holes than I needed I hate drilling posts.. lol

But I was already in agreement with doing the 6 and keeping it separate for the same reason. 36" is what I believe the others were poured too.. might have been 48.. not entirely sure but I can phone him since he did the deck and fence for the developer. The deck hasn't moved one bit.. actually a nice deck.
Here in southern Ontario the footing needs to be down 48". For the extra 12" its not worth the gamble.

I hate digging holes for piers and I would be using a ledger on the existing posts. Especially, as the original deck hasn't shifted.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #7

I thought so too... still debating it... it would tie them together and make it alot easier. I have room to put a small 4 x 4 under onto the existing cement as well.

48 might be the magic number.. just waiting for him to call me back is all... but I would rather do 3 than 6

Advertisement