Deck With Footing Near Foundation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Deck with footing near foundation

I am going to be building a deck on the back of our house where there is an inside corner (see picture below). My orginal plan was to make it a free standing deck. The 4 footings near the house were all going to be roughly 2 feet from the house (Having the bean and the joists cantilevered). The footing will be 18 in diameters 30 in deep and 8 in thick. (I got this from our building departments deck guide). I will then have a 8 in diameter pier from the footing to a inch or two above the ground and attach the post to that.

Doing some research I am now worried about the needing to do more because they will be near/in the backfilled area of of the house. I have a picture of the house pre back-fill but it doesn't show the backfilled area well, but you can see it atleast goes out 3 feet. The house was built one year ago. I don't think I can easily dig deep enough to get to the footings of the basement but I am willing to go as deep as can with the two man powered augar I was going to rent. I could use a ledger on the long side of the house instead but then I would still have that one footing near the foundation. Most of the other houses in my area (built at the same time) have a similar inside corner and they have a ledger and a footers for a beam with one of the footings a couple feet from the foundation (with the beam cantilevered). What would you guys do?

I am in Howard County Maryland and if you care to see the deck guide for the county is at here

Bigger Picture

Advertisement

SailBlue5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Have you thought about doing stairs out to a ground level patio (concrete or pavers). This way you won't cover up that basement window.

Advertisement

dabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,164

"The footing will be 18 in diameters 30 in deep and 8 in thick. (I got this from our building departments deck guide). I will then have a 8 in diameter pier from the footing to a inch or two above the ground and attach the post to that."

Just remember what the building dept. gave you is the minimum required.

Footings as a rule of thumb are to be on undisturbed soil, could that be the reason for ledger on the other decks??
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (06-24-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (06-24-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
"The footing will be 18 in diameters 30 in deep and 8 in thick. (I got this from our building departments deck guide). I will then have a 8 in diameter pier from the footing to a inch or two above the ground and attach the post to that."

Just remember what the building dept. gave you is the minimum required.

Footings as a rule of thumb are to be on undisturbed soil, could that be the reason for ledger on the other decks??
Probably, except the other decks still have a row of footers with one of them being close to the wall with the door on it, about two feet out. I don't know how far down they went but I can't imagine it was below the basement foundation.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 610

See numbered page 9 on this link http://www.awc.org/publications/dca/dca6/dca6-09.pdf

The back-filled soil will be soft and the proper way to do it is to dig to undisturbed soil. If you are going to get a permit, they should be insisting on this --- but then again, some cities will let you do just about anything.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #6

My foundation sits at something around 5 to 6 feet below the ground level (I'll have to check the plan). How does one go about digging that far down? I suppose I'll need to get someone to come in and do it, but who would I call? Will there be any problems pouring my own concrete at those depths? How do I make sure I don't hit/snag any of the drain tile stuff down there? I guess that is right up agianst the foundation so as long as I am 2 feet out I am ok?

Could I attach the beam to the foundation on the short wall instead? That could make it so I could get all the footings outside the backfill region. I am guessing that I would need to attach it to the concrete so the joists could attach to the ledger on the rim joist of the house and still cantilever over the beam.

The last option is to use a ledger, removing all the footings near the house on the long wall. Then use the two footings near the stair landing and remove the one near the corner (on the yellow and blue picture). Then have big enough joists to span 15 feet. I would then have the two footings to extend out the stair landing (probably making it a little bigger) and then the two footings holding a beam for the joists that don't extend on to the stair landing.

What would you guys do? What am I doing wrong that is making this design so difficult?
Old 06-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 610

Check the yellow pages or internet. Around here there are several outfits (with names such as "Mr. Post Hole") All they do is dig holes for deck footings and fences. Prices are reasonable --- hardly worth the trouble of doing it yourself anyways. I would think that for a pro, six feet is no big deal.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Check the yellow pages or internet. Around here there are several outfits (with names such as "Mr. Post Hole") All they do is dig holes for deck footings and fences. Prices are reasonable --- hardly worth the trouble of doing it yourself anyways. I would think that for a pro, six feet is no big deal.
Is there any concern pouring my own footing and then pier (second pour the next day) with those lengths? Never worked with concrete before but will have a buddy that knows a little helping.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailBlue5 View Post
Is there any concern pouring my own footing and then pier (second pour the next day) with those lengths? Never worked with concrete before but will have a buddy that knows a little helping.

With the soil being fairly loose,whoever digs the hole will probably have to use a liner to keep the walls from collapsing,so the concrete needs to be poured with the liner in place and pulled as the hole is filled with concrete.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
I couldn't find anyone like that in my area. Typically our post holes only have to be 30 inches deep, I wonder if that would limit the market for someone like this, or maybe I am just looking in the wrong place. How will they prevent the ground from collapsing in? And then how can I pour a footing that deep.

What about the option of attaching the beam to the other wall of the house, so I would support the beam and the joists from the house foundation?
Old 06-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 528

Let's just make this simple. Attach a ledger to he house and build off that.

the way they backfill concerns me on the pict you posted for a free standing deck.

Simple and relatively easy. come on back and we will help with making the ledger so it lasts.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer52 View Post
Let's just make this simple. Attach a ledger to he house and build off that.

the way they backfill concerns me on the pict you posted for a free standing deck.

Simple and relatively easy. come on back and we will help with making the ledger so it lasts.
But I don't want the deck to extend past the short wall, so I'll need a beam that has a footer about two feet from the short wall (since I can only cantilever a beam off two feet. So I still have a footer near the backfill.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 528

You can cant over 2' depending on the size of the beam.

Advertisement

framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote