Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Deck footers near house

Hi,

I'm building a free standing deck next to the house. Unfortunately this makes me end up with a row of footers close enough to the house to be in the basement backfill area. My house is 3 years old.

I'm looking for a sanity check... With my post hole digger, I can get down to 5 feet. It looks like the basement floor is 6 feet below grade. So I'm thinking for the holes near the house -- since this is considered disturbed soil -- I can dig down 5 feet, use a 4x4 to compact the bottom of the hole, bell out the bottom of the hole, put compacted gravel in the bottom, and then fill with concrete using a sono tube (not extending the tube into the bell).

Would that hold? I'm nervous about sinking because I'll be getting a roof installed on the deck, and the roof will attach to the house. I can't attach the deck to the house because it's cantilevered so nothing but air under the rim joist on the house.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

drjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

Deck footers near house

dr... not trying to be wise a##, but what did your building department say. Surely this is a project that requires a permit and they would be the people to ask.

That and you didnt fill out your profile. So we have no idea where you live.

12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #3

Deck footers near house

My building department doesn't seem concerned about it, but I'm just trying to be certain. Got the permit.
I'm in NJ. I have to be 36" down to be below frost -- I'm assuming that's why you ask about location.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

Deck footers near house

...correct.

Your plan seems well thought out and to me sounds doable. I think we need one of our resident engineers to answer your soil compaction question.

One should drop by soon.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Deck footers near house

How deep is that cantilever?

Last edited by SteelToes; 04-12-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: .
SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #6

Deck footers near house

The house is cantilevered 18" off the foundation. The deck cantilever towards the house will put the footers 30" from the foundation.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

Deck footers near house

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjohnson View Post
The house is cantilevered 18" off the foundation. The deck cantilever towards the house will put the footers 30" from the foundation.
O.K
Now, how high is the deck of the ground going to be and how high is the house cantilever of the ground right now ?

Is it possible to run a deck joist to the foundation wall and attach to a ledger board?
In other words going under cantilever.
SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,128

Deck footers near house

If you're already going down five feet, I'd suggest going the additional foot or 2 to get direct bearing on virgin soil. Odds are you won't hit non-disturbed soil for 12" or so below the top of the basement floor elevation. I know it's not fun or easy, but it's risky IMO to set these posts on back fill that's only a few years old.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Deck footers near house

I've done work in townships that don't allow free standing decks for this reasons. I would still attach to the cantilever and go down to the virgin soil. If Its that easy to go to 5 ft manually you need to hit the virgin
dvatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

Deck footers near house

So just cantilever the deck joists maximum Lj/4 to reach the house cantilever. House with 2' cant., deck with 4' cant. and 16' span between beams with 2x12's 16"oc,Doug.fir; http://www.lancova.com/deckinfo.pdf pp.4, fig.2, pp.3; joists.
Check locally for Code.

Gary
Old 04-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #11

Deck footers near house

Thanks everyone! Sounds like the best plan is keep on diggin' to virgin soil. And if I can't do that, work plan B based on the other suggestions. I appreciate the opinions!

Tags
deck, footer, footings