DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

deck drainage problem

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  darsunt 
#1 ·
I have some decks that have insufficient drainage during rains. They each have two drains in the corners, but I want to cut a third drain in the center.

This would involve cutting through the base of a stucco wall, and also cutting a shallow trench in the decking material. It looks like a relatively simple job, except for two things:

1) Someone told me it was a very bad idea to cut the fiberglass coating on the deck. Is it because this coating is very thin? Or does fiberglass deck coatings leak when ground down? I only want to remove about a quarter inch.

2) I'm not sure the proper tools to cut a hole in stucco ( I have masonry drills but I doin't think they'll be enough.

Thanks

#3 ·
Yes, the deck does slant properly down towards the drains (out towards the outer balcony wall). But the drains are on the corners, while the deck floor has sunk down in the middle. So the water drains correctly outwards but a 1 inch + puddle builds up in the middle against the outer wall. So a third drain should do the trick, if feasible

Another problem is, thought the deck surface slopes down properly, right at the outer wall it starts sloping up again for about 4 inches.

#4 ·
Fiberglass deck coatings are very thin. only about 1/8 inch at most.
If you grind it at all, it will no longer be waterproof.

From your desciption, you seem to have a stucco wall at the outer
end of your balcony. If you want to cut a drainage hole (scupper)
in this wall, just put a masonry blade on a 4 inch grinder. It will
easily cut stucco.

If you cant get to the bottom of your balcony and raise the
plywood in the center, you may consider fiberglass filler to
generally fill the area to an even slope.

Good Luck:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.