Deck Design Ideas For Strange Shape Sunken Patio - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Deck design ideas for strange shape sunken patio

Just finished a big remodel, looking to do the deck. Basement level opens into a little sunken patio, surrounded by a 4 ft retaining wall. You can go up some small stairs to the backyard on the right. The first level has french doors that will open to the deck.

I'd rather use 2x10, but I'd like a little extra headroom in the basement patio area so I will use 2 x 8. Also want to have an unobstructed path from the basement door to the stairs on the right.

Thinking of a 4x8 beam (20 ft or so long) sitting on three 6x6 beams as close to the retaining wall as I can get them, about a 10 ft span from ledger. Then two 4 x 8's perpendicular from ledger, on top of that beam. Idea being to allow the joists to change direction on the ends to keep the headroom and avoid another beam on the right side where the house has a 6ft alcove. The center joists and beams would cantilever a foot, or foot and a half over the retaining wall so it doesn't look like deck is floating like a boat inside the area of the small patio.

The drawing isn't really to great scale, but the dimensions are good. There would be stairs going from deck level down to the retaining wall top level (ie backyard).

I'm attaching an aerial from the top floor and a very rough drawing. The 45's on either side allow me to put a grill on the right side and then allow me to provide a good angle for the stair on the other where it goes to the backyard. The beam placement allows for maximum headroom (I think).

I am pretty sure I am good with all the spans and loads, probably going with a 12" OC for the center joists, 16" OC for outside joists.

Anyone else have any ideas? It is a slightly strange shape to work with, I'd love to do a curved deck that matched the wall, but the house remodel took all my money!
Attached Thumbnails
Deck design ideas for strange shape sunken patio-20140505_160821.jpg   Deck design ideas for strange shape sunken patio-20140505_163018.jpg   Deck design ideas for strange shape sunken patio-overlay.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by kemperflow; 05-05-2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Add pic
kemperflow is offline   Reply With Quote