Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Electrician

Share |

Deck design and beam location

How close can the deck be to the bottom of the threshold. If I have to go 3 or 4 inches lower my beam will need to be in the ground. Is the beam touching the ground or partially in the ground a bad idea.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #2

You can use the tubes and pour the concrete pier and then they have the mount that sets sirectly in the concrete which would let your beam rest about ground level.

MikeVila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #3

At least 4" is best. any higher and there's a chance of splash back on the door causing issues with leaks.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
At least 4" is best. any higher and there's a chance of splash back on the door causing issues with leaks.

Thanks guess the beam will be at or below grade level.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren

Thanks guess the beam will be at or below grade level.
Or....make it a flush beam.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Or....make it a flush beam.

Done a little research to figure out what a flush beam is. With a flush beam do you put your beam on your posts at the same level as your ledger; then use joist hangers on each side. If this is correct does that effect how much you can span with your joist.

Last edited by darren; 04-26-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #7

You will need a permit. P.t. lumber if exposed to rain/snow or lower than 6" from ground; http://www.winnipeg.ca/ppd/pdf_files/wooddeck.pdf

http://www.winnipeg.ca/ppd/brochures.stm

Gary
Old 04-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
You will need a permit. P.t. lumber if exposed to rain/snow or lower than 6" from ground; http://www.winnipeg.ca/ppd/pdf_files/wooddeck.pdf

http://www.winnipeg.ca/ppd/brochures.stm

Gary
No permit needed when the deck is less then 2 feet.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #9

I looked through the Winnipag design guide and did not see anything that includes or excludes this design. It just talks about the standard joist on beam construction.

Deck design and beam location-deck.jpg

According to the design guide the beam and joist will have to be pressure treated. Back in the day we would use solid 4 x 8 redwood for the becasue it was exposed through the deck. Since the joists are 2 x 6 you will have to space the beams closure together. 2 x 6 is acceptable based on the design guide. This will get you another 1 1/2 in more than a flush beam.

The rest of the decking can be what ever you like as long as you adjust the joist mounting position to the decking depth. I used 5/4 stock as an example. 2 x stock works nice with this approach. The hardest part is finding nice enough 2 x 8 that you want the edges exposed on the surface.

Whatever you do do not have the beams in contact with the soil. The obvious reason is that the beam will rot quicker. Also, you will block runoff and casue water to pool and potentially backup into the house and casue water damage. I would also replace the to few inches of dirt with stone and regrade to improve drainage. Drainage is not something I'm good at, so somebody else may have better advice
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #10

darren,

if you are that close to the ground why are you doing a deck instead of a patio?

here is a good reference for deck construction http://www.awc.org/publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf this will give you the proper sizing of framing members based upon their spans (both joists & beam).

you need to find out what your ground snow load is (ask building department) so that you use the proper live load in sizing your framing members.

if your framing members are in contact with the ground the pressure treated lumber must be rated for ground contact (basically more chemicals in the wood than normal pressure treated). Make sure the ground is sloped away from you home typically a minimum of 6" within 10' of the home.
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
darren,

if you are that close to the ground why are you doing a deck instead of a patio?

here is a good reference for deck construction http://www.awc.org/publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf this will give you the proper sizing of framing members based upon their spans (both joists & beam).

you need to find out what your ground snow load is (ask building department) so that you use the proper live load in sizing your framing members.

if your framing members are in contact with the ground the pressure treated lumber must be rated for ground contact (basically more chemicals in the wood than normal pressure treated). Make sure the ground is sloped away from you home typically a minimum of 6" within 10' of the home.
It is all covered for him in the Winnipeg specidic guide. I think they borrowed some of the diagrams from DCA6-09.

I wish the MA building departments would create somethinng like this for us. I think some towns have.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #12

goosearry,

if you find one let me know. I'm down on Buzzards Bay/Cape Cod and as far as I know none have a hand-out.

yes, after I posted I took a look at the Winnipeg guide. nicely done. I have some from other departments across the states.

I typically use the DCA6 for my designs, simple, prescriptive, and difficult to argue with.
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
Electrician

They have a whole series of those brochures on home improvement projects on the cities website.

I seriously considered a stone patio but the thought of all that digging and compacting made me think of a deck. I have always thought decks look nicer and I like the idea of having a deck to sit on.

Back to my question, if I do a flesh beam design can the joist span the same distance as if I were doing the joist on top of the beam.

With a flush beam design my span would be roughly 14' and according to the cities brochure a 2x8 pine(i believe that is what pressure treated wood is made from) can span 14'2. Since I am within 2" of the max would it be beneficial to move up to 2x10 or to go on 12"centre with 2x8 vs 16".
Old 04-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
They have a whole series of those brochures on home improvement projects on the cities website.

I seriously considered a stone patio but the thought of all that digging and compacting made me think of a deck. I have always thought decks look nicer and I like the idea of having a deck to sit on.

Back to my question, if I do a flesh beam design can the joist span the same distance as if I were doing the joist on top of the beam.

With a flush beam design my span would be roughly 14' and according to the cities brochure a 2x8 pine(i believe that is what pressure treated wood is made from) can span 14'2. Since I am within 2" of the max would it be beneficial to move up to 2x10 or to go on 12"centre with 2x8 vs 16".
Because your so close to the ground go with 2 x 8 12 in OC