Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Deck design

i have looked around here for a while and cant find the info i need. i have drawn up what i think will work for my deck, it will be 8x10 the front outside poles will be 6"x6" from the pergola cover installed. remainder will be 4x4 posts. my beams will be 2x6pt and want to use 5/4 x6" x8ft deck boards. red lines are deck boards spaced approximatly 1/8" i attached a drawing. do yall think this will work. i do not plan on supporting any major loads on the deck other than chairs and stuff THANKS MIKE oh ya i live out side houston tx if that makes a difference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf C.pdf (3.0 KB, 87 views)

txmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
General Contractor

Deck design

I'm confused by your drawing. The "beams" in your drawing are they the built up girders or joists. If they are joists they are spaced to far. I usually build free standing style decks. I do 2" x 10" built up girders minimum. 2" x 8" joists spaced 16 o.c. w/ 2" x 8" rim joist/ ledger board and 2"x10" or 2"x12" (depends on decking speced) outer rim joists. I use 6"x6" posts to support loads. I use 4"x4" posts for railings with decklok brackets (to meet 200# impact code).

I would recommend you take a trip to your local building department and talk with them. Most of them around here have generic deck plans available for homeowner use. It will be a lot less hassle for you getting permits to use their approved plan then to try and draw one if you haven't built decks before and aren't familiar with the building codes.

ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Deck design

Do a Google search for "PRESCRIPTIVE RESIDENTIAL WOOD DECK CONSTRUCTION GUIDE". If you have any trouble digesting that, come back here on the thread and ask away. The Guide has all sorts of recommendations on post spacing, joist and beam sizing, fasteners, etc. Also, you should be able to get away with far fewer posts than the 12 you have on the sketch. But as ARI001 said, your joist scheme doesn't look like it's going to cut it.

Last edited by Aggie67; 07-24-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote