Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #1

Share |

Deck Cantilever Problem

I'm building a deck that wraps around the house. I changed the plans slightly which resulted in reorienting one of the beams. Here are some photos of the corner and my planned fix. If the inspector has a problem with it I can always put metal braces under the cantilever which I'm sure would make it strong enough, it just wouldn't look as nice.

Anyone see any engineering or code problems?
Attached Thumbnails
Deck Cantilever Problem-img_6197.jpg   Deck Cantilever Problem-img_6193.jpg   Deck Cantilever Problem-img_6190.jpg   Deck Cantilever Problem-cantilever.jpg  

ovahimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #2

Deck Cantilever Problem

I would remove the 2x10 over the support beam and run 2x10 out riggers to the outer rim joist. I'd also double up the rim joist going around the deck.
I'd run the issue past the inspector before doing it as there might be earthquake considerations.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #3

Deck Cantilever Problem

Your cantilevered joists exceed the required joist length on a few of the shorter ones: http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

Page 7, option 2 or 3, on all joist/beam connections. Your post height may exceed the limit, hard to say. Watch the span table as decks are not rated at house floor spans any longer.

Be safe, Gary
Old 02-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #4

Deck Cantilever Problem

Thanks for the feedback. It is kind of a puzzle to line up boards to catch as much of the support beam as possible. Either way I am violating the span/cantilever ratio on some of the short joists. Like I said if the inspector notices I can always add bracing hardware.

My contractor friend told me to keep a couple potted plants up there so no one can ever stand on that corner of the deck.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Military Mom of 4

Deck Cantilever Problem

Please be responsible with your work - you might be held responsible for any accidents that happen in the future due to failed supports. I, personally, wouldn't trust that someone wouldn't hound you to pieces and gut your future over any little thing happening.

If I were you I'd consider doubling up the supports in that corner one way or another - metal bracing if necessary (you can build a thin wood box to hide it) - or run some alternate-pattern support that will fall on that support beam and fill that gap. (They would run left - right in your first photo over that support beam).
Old 02-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #6

Deck Cantilever Problem

Sorry for the last comment. I am taking it seriously which is why I posted here. I don't have a lot of confidence in the local building department for these details.

The problem with running boards right/left is there will an unsupported space above where the support beams meet(as viewed on the diagram).

In another part of the deck, I sandwiched some 4x blocking with 5/8" threaded rod and it felt really solid. I could add another line of blocking onto the plan shown on the diagram.

My ultimate plan, whatever design I choose, is to stack 5 or more bags of concrete (50lbs/sq/ft) at the corner to see if I get any significant sag. If there is any sag the braces go in.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
Military Mom of 4

Deck Cantilever Problem

Is this something like what you did at the other spot?

Double up the framework that makes the corner - using cut-to-fit slats of the same size, clamps, wood glue and screws - set it and forget it.

Your deck will be awesome, btw - I've always wanted a wrap-around but to have a wrap around you have to have a decent house, first!
Attached Thumbnails
Deck Cantilever Problem-img_6197rebox.jpg  
Old 02-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #8

Deck Cantilever Problem

I would think that the framing would need to be changed.
This image shows two different layouts. It would depend on the deck board placement to figure out which one I used.
There might also be blocking requirements re: deck boards so the joints are all fully supported.
Attached Thumbnails
Deck Cantilever Problem-deck.jpg  
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
Military Mom of 4

Deck Cantilever Problem

Yeah, JL's plan is a good one - full support all the way around.