Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #1

Share |

deck cantelievered joist.

I want to build a deck that would require part of the floor joist to be cantelievered over a 6inx8in. laminated beam. The beam is supported by two 8in. reinforced conccrete pillers, 8ft apart. Because of large rocks in the soil I can't move the posts out far enough so that I can view a creek. I was thinking that maybe the canteliever joists could give me 3-4 ft extra deck. I could run joists up to 20ft on the other side of the beam. (with additinal pillers and beams to support those long joists.

1. how far could I canteliever the joists. 4ft ?
2. how wide would the joists have to be. 2x10?
3. could I double each joist (making them a 4x10) and canteliever it farther?
4. Is there a book or on line site that shows how far you can canteliever different joist widths?
5. I can't afford an engineer for a simple deck that will only be 6ft high.

Last edited by judson; 05-10-2012 at 09:53 PM.
judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by judson View Post
5. I can't afford an engineer for a simple deck that will only be 6ft high.
Then stop now... No building department is going to let you go past 2' without an engineer.

Either it's worth it or its not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf View Post

Spoken like someone who has too much money. This is the DYI info board. Some of us have to do the best we can with our resources, and hiring an engineer isn't in the budget. I bet somewhere there is a table that shows the info I'm seaking.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #4

your building dept. will have the chart you speek of. You can also ask them all these questions and get answers that apply to you locally. Good Luck
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #5

Thanks, I'll ask them.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
Civil Engineer

You need to start by determining the code you operate under. Many jurisdictions (mine included) use International Residential Code, mine uses 2006 edition. Table 2 lists maximum allowable joists spans, for a southern pine 2x12 you get 18 feet if the joists are 16" oc. The maximum joist overhang is presented in figures 1A. !B, and 2, which figure you use depends on whether it is a free standing or ledger attached deck. Maximum joist overhang is shown as Lj/4, where Lj is the clear span of the joist. For an 18 foot clear span joist, maximum overhang would be approximately 4-1/2 feet. Some jurisdictions limit overhang to 2 feet, check with your building inspector. If you do not have a copy of your local regulations, I suggest you acquire a copy, read it carefully, and be prepared to present the specific section related to overhangs to the building inspector in case they are not familiar with the rules.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane

If you've done this "everyday" for a living for the past 20 years an answer may have been provided. If you've done this "everyday" for a living for the past month an answer may not have been provided.

For a living I melt stuff.
Makes no sense what you just said. I've been doing this for almost 30 years....can answer his question in 2 seconds on how I frame this. But I fame them in my area according to approved plans drawn from architects with permits and inspections.

The OP has to do his own homework and talk to HIS building department and get the answers. Funny how people can afford to build a deck but complain how they don't have a couple hundred dollars to have an engineer design it properly.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
But I frame them in my area according to approved plans drawn from architects with permits and inspections.
So in your area all decks need to be designed by an architect?
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
In his area, either arch or engender.

To the OP, I think Dan has given you the best response if your area does not require professional draw it up.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Then stop now... No building department is going to let you go past 2' without an engineer.

Here we can go past 2' without an engineer stamp.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #11

I only have to pas the BI inspection after build.

Every locality seems to be different and state differences are present also.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane

No....the decks I build are designed by architects . A homeowner can draw their own plans for any deck or any addition they want but it all has to be approved by the town for permits and inspections .
Old 05-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #13
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Quote:
Just trying to see if I was better at doing the job the OP has than he is, after all he thinks he's better at my job than I am.
I could MAYBE see them allowing 3' without an engineer, if they let 4' go without an engineer I'll be shocked.
Interestingly enough the IRC does allow for about 48", depending on the framing design, materials used, etc.

Andy.

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #14
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by judson

I live in Ohio, and in the country. My township county doesn't have building codes,
l.
Common sense would tell that's why you should hire a professional. Listening to people on the internet for structural advice isn't very smart.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
Interestingly enough the IRC does allow for about 48", depending on the framing design, materials used, etc.

Andy.
Nearly all jurisdictions that I've come across and help others with have changed that and limited it to 2' without an engineers stamp

robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote