Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #1

Share |

Deck built by builder: mains supports for the hand rail going around deck is pickets?

Question to any pros out there I'm in the building industry. But not a professional deck builder. My question is. The builder has built a small deck In the air off our kitchen door. The mains supports for the hand rail going around the deck is only the pickets. Even a picket lag bolted to the brick. A 2x2 picket. Called the inspector and he says that's what's on the drawings. Going on the town of Ajax and looking at there PDF. All end post must be a minimum 2x4 preferred a. 4x4. Not a picket. Am I right and what is my next action. Sorry no I'm not disclosing the builder as I don't feel like being sued. I'll add a pic later. Won't load from my iPhone for some reason. Thanks
mrrich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Deck built by builder: mains supports for the hand rail going around deck is pickets?

tell the builder, and keep the inspector in the loop.. the inspector can force the builder to change it.

the problem with most deck builders who just do a a standard "builder deck" do them as cheap and quick as possible.. both the look and hte structure suffer do to it. this is why custom decks seem so much more in comparison.. most of them are overbuilt structurally and the guys doing them actually take pride in doing so
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #3

Should meet standards...make a copy of the PDF and show builder and ask him to modify deck to meet standards or you will have to go to the planning department...if he refiuses go to the planning department chief b uilding inspector if necessary to get their input...also show them a copy of their own standards..if all else fails then replace corner 2x2's yourself and maybo a few in between...better to be safe.

BTW supporting posts under deck should be 6X6...are they?
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

the other thing is if they refuse to change it , withhold payment until they do or if they havent been paid in full and wont get someone else to and what the other guy charges dont pay the main guy and state its do to a backcharge for changes made to comply with code.

i believe legally you have to give them a chance to make the changes if they dont then act
Old 10-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #5

Really need that picture, sure sounds funky to me.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
journeyman carpenter

not hard to visualize.. ive seen this on decks before.. VERY EASY to take down where thers little stength

we do our rails with 4x4`s which are down into the framing... blocked to death and glued.. this way if i can make the post move.. the whole deck is moving with it
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #7

joeC visualize a raised deck with 4X4 or 6X6 supports underneath but, where they just used 2X2's for pickets/ballusters with the railing mounted on top..probably a 2X4 railing too...pickets anchored at brick wall...nothing substantial at corners!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #8

Corners gain lots of strength from being a corner. Wall is an end and really needs more then a 2x2, Here 2x4 is minimum.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #9

just out of curiosity, how tall is your deck off the ground?

where I live, if I stay below certain threshold (I forget), I don't need guard rails.

maybe that picket fence thing was done as more of a decoration?
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #10

Even as a decoration it needs to be sturdy enough if someone does lean on it.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #11

So, mrrich01..did you get any results...be interesting to know..I know, I know...city hall moves slowly..just let us know when you can please...
The Following User Says Thank You to techpappy For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (10-04-2012)