Deck Building Question - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Deck building question

I'm going to be replacing our front porch/deck soon and I cannot find a any details about what I need to do in regards to support.

I have a book and have done lots of reading online but any deck example always shows one side anchored to the house, and the opposite side supported by a beam.

I'm going to be anchoring two sides to the house and a beam just doesn't seem to get me more support than simply having two posts using concrete piers supporting the outside corner that is unsupported.

Any insight?

Advertisement

coray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Deck building question

a pic says a thousand words, if you could post some pics that would help. As well a better description would be helpful. ie: length, width, height.

I would use a corner pier and a center pier if longer than an 7 foot span.

Advertisement

william duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Deck building question

So your deck will be on an inside corner of the building? If that's the case then you will need a beam with one end of it attached to the house. You can use either a beam hanger or a beam pocket to make that connection. The other end of the beam would be supported by a post.

Decks always need a beam to support the ends of the joists, you can't just throw a post under the deck joists. Well you can but it's not correct, wouldn't pass a building inspection anyway.
KennMacMoragh is offline   Reply With Quote