Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

Share |

Deck building around pool

I hope I am in the proper section to ask this question.

I am getting a 27' above ground installed next week.

This summer I intend to build the first portion of the deck; 20'x20' against the pool. Over the winter my intentions are to finalize the deck with a 5' octagon all the way around the actual pool and join it to the 20'x20' deck. Deck height will be roughly between 48-55" I will know more once the pool is installed.

2 questions:

I have never done any deck building, but have done a lot around the house. Should I attempt this job? I was checking out lowes online "design a deck" program and it breaks everything down for me.. Not to a T, but the gist of it.

I will be doing all of this on a minor slope; 2-3' over 50'. Are concrete footings a must have? Can I use the cement blocks?
I am just not looking forward to digging 30" holes and mixing that much concrete.

Last edited by Ineedhelp2009; 06-04-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #2

Home Depot rents both gas powered 2 or 1 person augers and portable concrete mixers. You could probably get all your holes dug in one day for under $100 in rental fees. I'm not a contractor but I'd think you want to pour pads under your deck posts, otherwise it will sink. I recently dug 16 fence post holes and deck support pad holes, all 36" deep in less than 5 hours with a Home Depot auger. It's relatively easy to use unless you drill into a lot of rock etc

Last edited by dbldee20; 06-05-2012 at 03:56 PM.
dbldee20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #3

Just built large deck adjoining to 24' above ground pool. Didn't go all the way around though. I had built 2 previous decks. The hardest part if you want to call it that is when you get close to the pull and have to do some angles and getting your layout perfect. Not sure I would want it to be my first deck build.
We dug 12 holes and knocked them out fairly easy with auger rental from HD. Be prepared toix some concrete. For 26" hole with 10" tubes it's 2 bags of 80lb Qwikrete! Get a couple books and study. Make sure you have all the tools and take your time and the reward is great!
MikeVila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedhelp2009

Are concrete footings a must have? Can I use the cement blocks?
I am just not looking forward to digging 30" holes and mixing that much concrete.
Are you looking.foward to your deck falling down and hurting someone? Footings are a must.

And that's to bad about you not wanting to dig them like the rest of the world has too ....you have no choice whether you do it by hand or machine.

Call your building department and ask them exactly what you need for footings....they will tell you.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #5

Concrete slabs/footings that sit on the ground are going to move around and/or sink over time with a deck like you are describing.

You are going to want to ensure max stability. Get digging (might have to go down 36-40" and get some concrete tubes in the ground like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

And then use these to support the 4x4"s for strength.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
colinp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #6

Ineedhelp 2009,

I would recommend checking with the building department to find out the requirements for installing an above ground pool. Most jurisdictions have requirements for safety and security such as fencing, self closing gates and alarms. They may also have separation requirements from a septic system or from the dwelling itself. They may also require submital of construction drawings and obtaining a building permit. Permits are a good thing because the building inspector will check your construction to ensure it is safe and proper.

You stated you haven't done deck building so I'm attaching the Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide http://www.awc.org/publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf
This will provide you with the requirements for building a deck. It give spans of framing members, connection requirements and details.

As far as footings they are certainly needed to prevent "sinking" of your structure. Check with the building department for the required depth of footings. If you don't want to mix concrete check with your local lumber yard they may carry pre-formed concrete footings. Sort of a round sonotube type foundation with a bell-shaped footing attached. Of course this would require renting a bob-cat or other small utility vehicle that you can dig the hole and set these into.

Good luck with your project!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #7

Sorry for the delay, but very useful information here, thanks.
I am going to do rent a auger and do it right.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Roofmaster

I dont know if you have ever used an auger before but they can be hell on your back. Renting a small bobcat with a hydraulic driven auger is cake.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (03-30-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #9

augers, even two-man augers can be fun should you hit a large rock or boulder and the augers wants to spin the two of you round and round.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #10

Good points. I had a buddy come over with his ditch witch to run underground power, and my yard is nothing but rocks. Might be worth the few hundred bucks to get a bobcat, since I have never ran a auger.

Good input, thanks