Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #1

Share |

Deck Boards and Deck Size

This is probably a dumb question. How do you determine the length of a 10 ft x 10 ft deck when using non-wood deck boards?

I hope to use Azek deck boards. The boards are 5-1/2" wide. Boards spacing is 1/8" to 1/4". My concern is how do you determine the length of the deck to ensure you don't have to rip the last deck board?

I know if won't be exactly 10 ft long. Do you add up the width of all the deck boards plus the spacing and get it as close to 10 ft as possible?

Earnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie View Post
This is probably a dumb question. How do you determine the length of a 10 ft x 10 ft deck when using non-wood deck boards?

I hope to use Azek deck boards. The boards are 5-1/2" wide. Boards spacing is 1/8" to 1/4". My concern is how do you determine the length of the deck to ensure you don't have to rip the last deck board?

I know if won't be exactly 10 ft long. Do you add up the width of all the deck boards plus the spacing and get it as close to 10 ft as possible?
What I do to ensure full boards and no ripping is I leave the joists long at the end. Start the decking from the house and work towards the outside. Once you get close to the end where the last full board will go, I make a mark on the joist where the outside of the last full board will go and then deduct for the rim board and mark each end of the deck and snap a chalkline and make the cuts there. After that, add the rim board on and the outside of the rim board will be flush with the outside of the last piece of decking.

For me, this is the most accurate way to do it. You can do all the math you want, but that won't get you exact.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
Mod

Ditto on everything Joe said. That’s really the only good way to do it.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #4

a 10 foot deck, with 6" wide boards, is about 20 boards wide. Since you stated that your deck spacing is from 1/8 - 1/4, this leaves 2-3 inches fudging with the board placement.

The previous two suggestions sound like a really good option, but if you are stuck trying to install boards on a fixed-length deck, try temporarily fastening the two boards at either end, loosely place the rest of the boards in-between, and adjust board spacing to fit nicely.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #5

One note here,I leave a small over hang on the deck boards,and on the cut edges I re-create a round over edge with a router bit.Also install the rail post first,and notch the deck boards to fit!
Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #6

When placing the boards on a deck I always start away from the house and work towards the house. That way if I have to rip a board it will go against the house and be less noticeable.
Msradell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #7

Interesting. I never considered leaving the end rim boards off and installing the deck boards almost to the end. That sounds like a good way to install them and prevent ripping the last board.

I'll probably tack a board on the end to keep the joists straight. Installing the joist stiffeners will also keep the joist straight.

Thanks guys!

Earnie is offline   Reply With Quote