Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:43 PM   #1

Share |

Deck Beam Question

I'm adding a 7' x 32' deck porch on the front of my house. My deck plan allocates 4-6x6x16 posts (will also support a porch roof) utilizing a ledger bolted to the house. My issue is that with the posts evenly spaced, say 11', 11' and 10', my beam - which I'm hoping to double up using 2-2x8x16's and then 2-2x8x12's and 1-2x8x8 would not meet code.

Code in my state requires that beams constructed of 2 or more pieces of lumber joined must have a post where the beam boards are spliced. Any issue with what I proposed above? If so, what's the solution?

The deck will barely be 8" off the ground at the highest traffic point and no more than 2' at the highest height.

Thanks all!

usmcstormvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:54 PM   #2

Deck Beam Question

You never want to splice a part of a built-up beam unless that splice is supported directly.

My suggestion would be to get lumber for the beams that allows you to locate the splices directly over the posts.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:04 AM   #3
Framing Contractor

Deck Beam Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcstormvet View Post
I'm adding a 7' x 32' deck porch on the front of my house. My deck plan allocates 4-6x6x16 posts (will also support a porch roof) utilizing a ledger bolted to the house. My issue is that with the posts evenly spaced, say 11', 11' and 10', my beam - which I'm hoping to double up using 2-2x8x16's and then 2-2x8x12's and 1-2x8x8 would not meet code.

Code in my state requires that beams constructed of 2 or more pieces of lumber joined must have a post where the beam boards are spliced.

Quote:
Any issue with what I proposed above? If so, what's the solution?
You just answered your own question. You want to use a beam with lengths where the joints will not break over the posts knowing that it will not meet code. There's no issue, you have to get the right size joists to sit on the posts. That's your solution.

Quote:
The deck will barely be 8" off the ground at the highest traffic point and no more than 2' at the highest height.
It doesn't matter whether the deck is 8" or 6' off the ground, the beam joints have to sit on top of the posts. Buy the right length and that's it.. You do want you propose to do knowing it won't meet code, you will fail, plain and simple.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Deck Beam Question

First, like has been posted previously, you want splices in a beam resting on posts. Second, double 2x8s won't span 10-11 feet with 7 foot tributary joists, you need to go larger for those spans. Double 2x12s will go 10 feet. Not sure about 11 feet. You should find a standard span table and work out the details.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #5

Deck Beam Question

Posted this last night after scratching my head for a while trying to figure it out. I got stuck on only having 4 posts based upon a deck program and I'm limited to 2x8's due to grade and height of door threshold.

I do have a copy of my states deck code, hence me knowing about the requirement for splicing.

After a good nights sleep it clicked that I can use double 2x8's for spans up to 8'. I'll just have to add a couple more posts.
usmcstormvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #6

Deck Beam Question

Smart man! You won't regret it...Never good to cut corners on structure.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote