Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #1

Share |

Deck Beam Flashing

I have a beam made up of 4 2x8s nailed together.
Strong but this creates a bit of a seam between the 2Xs.
I've Googled Grace Vycor Deck Protector
http://www.na.graceconstruction.com/...24_Guide-A.pdf

Does anyone have any experience with or thoughts using this product or any other suggestions ?
I'd like to be able to prevent water from pooling in this crack.
Local code dictates nailing beams in this fashion.

Thank you

fornews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #2
I make love to my walls

Deck Beam Flashing

I've used Ice and water barrier or zip tape in the past. Nobody's going to see it. And it's cheap

Arey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #3

Deck Beam Flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arey85 View Post
I've used Ice and water barrier or zip tape in the past. Nobody's going to see it. And it's cheap
Thank you

Zip tape ??
What Ice and water barrier are you referring to ?
Old 07-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #4

Deck Beam Flashing

I am putting the finishing touches on a new cedar deck and I have a triple 2x12" beam with two seams. I used BlueSkin that is a rubber surfaced/tar backing skin that you peel and stick over the beam. I used the enhancement glue that you can apply about 20 minutes before the blueskin for better adhesion. Comes in 4", 6" and 9" widths.

I actually did all the floor joists also to protect them where the deck floor screws go in. The tar backing prevents water from penetrating the wood around the screw holes.

Cost me about $250 to do the entire deck (beam and all joists). Cheap protection against future rot.

Of course, I'm wrapping the beam in cedar also, so you won't see the blueskin.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Deck Beam Flashing-40662_475652788293_807138293_6662338_6187972_n.jpg  
dpach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
I make love to my walls

Deck Beam Flashing

Zip tape is a weather shield tape used to seal plywood panels on roofing and wall sheathing manufactured by advantech a sub company from huber building product. You can google zip system and you'll see what I mean. That stuff is so good I use it everywhere. Around door and window flanges, over roofing step flashing. It's great
Ice and water is the stuff you put down on the roof before the felt paper on the first course to protect against ice dams. Buy a roll and cut it into strips and place it over your beams and joists.
Arey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #6

Deck Beam Flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpach View Post

how ya gonna keep water from between the cedar and treated?
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
Not so new

Deck Beam Flashing

Quote:
I am putting the finishing touches on a new cedar deck and I have a triple 2x12" beam with two seams. I used BlueSkin that is a rubber surfaced/tar backing skin that you peel and stick over the beam. I used the enhancement glue that you can apply about 20 minutes before the blueskin for better adhesion. Comes in 4", 6" and 9" widths.

I actually did all the floor joists also to protect them where the deck floor screws go in. The tar backing prevents water from penetrating the wood around the screw holes.

Cost me about $250 to do the entire deck (beam and all joists). Cheap protection against future rot.

Good luck!

What goes between the cedar wrap and the beam?
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Not so new

Deck Beam Flashing

dpach....you didnt hang that deck off the cantilever did you?

Last edited by 12penny; 07-12-2011 at 07:37 PM.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #9

Deck Beam Flashing

where do you buy the blue stuff from?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #10

Deck Beam Flashing

Quote:

Good luck!
Is what you used different then what I found ?
It says not to be exposed to UV more then six weeks.

http://www.henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/c...4_techdata.pdf

Thank you
Old 07-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #11

Deck Beam Flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arey85 View Post
Zip tape is a weather shield tape used to seal plywood panels on roofing and wall sheathing manufactured by advantech a sub company from huber building product. You can google zip system and you'll see what I mean. That stuff is so good I use it everywhere. Around door and window flanges, over roofing step flashing. It's great
Ice and water is the stuff you put down on the roof before the felt paper on the first course to protect against ice dams. Buy a roll and cut it into strips and place it over your beams and joists.
So I googled "zip tape weathershield" and this thread was in first position.
Amazing

I couldn't find anything regarding UV capability from zipsystem.com.
It seems this stuff is intended for window and roofs.
Or am I missing something with this product ?

Thank you,
Old 07-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #12

Deck Beam Flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
how ya gonna keep water from between the cedar and treated?
Easy....1/2 thick by 2 inch wide cedar furring strips (spacer) every 2 feet that leaves a 1/2 inch gap between the cedar and PT for drainage and evaporation of moisture. That's how I'm wrapping the entire pressure treated framing. Local building inspector really liked the idea and is recommending it to others.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #13

Deck Beam Flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12penny View Post
dpach....you didnt hang that deck off the cantilever did you?

No, there's a double joist that runs out from the house (under the post) on each end of the canteliver and a double joist running along the canteliver between these other two (with a 1/2 gap between the canteliver and parallel double joist). Everything is fully up to code (all permits in place and inspectiond done). Not saying its perfect, but the inspector said its one of the best build decks he's inspected in 20 yrs.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #14

Deck Beam Flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez View Post
where do you buy the blue stuff from?

Both Home depot and our local lumber store have it. Was easy to work with and I really liked the idea of the tar backing that basically seals around any screws going through it.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #15

Deck Beam Flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fornews View Post
Is what you used different then what I found ?
It says not to be exposed to UV more then six weeks.

http://www.henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/c...4_techdata.pdf

Thank you
That's the stuff. I read that too and did some research with local builders before installing. I also looked at 3 decks all over 4 years old that used this on their joists. Everyone was just like the day it was installed.

The local builders I spoke with said the warning is there because under direct UV rays for prolonged periods, the top blue "skin" can get fine crack lines (shrinkage and degradation and they've rarely seen it), but its really the tar backing that prevents moisture from getting through. (The blue "skin" helps shed rapid moisture) And the tar/ashpalt backing is not affected by UV's (just like what's under shingles). Even the builders who have seen it exposed from fall to the next spring say the only thing they've noticed is that with the UV's, the "Skin" tends to shrink a little and can cause it to come loose from the substrate. That is why they recommended using the Bakkor adhesive with it.

I built the framing and installed the flooring last summer. It's now 9 mths later as I'm finishing the custom railings, etc and I had to take off a couple floor boards to finish a railing section, and the Blueskin looked just like the day I put it on 9 mths ago. Even the ends of the beam which have been exposed look like the day it went on. The builders told me that its direct sunlight under prolonged exposure, and the 1/4 inch or so deck spacing isn't going to allow enough UV's through for prolonged periods because the sun is always moving across the sky (different angles).

The thing I wanted to protect the most was the screw holes from the floor boards. The framing I used was actually the old-style CCA pressure treated that is recommended for below ground level (instead of the ACQ stuff). This has much more resistance to moisture and rot from surface moisture. But the darn screw holes is what let's moisture into the wood. The tar/asphalt backing on this is the key that seals around each screw. I didn't want to use a wrap like Typar strips, etc because they don't seal around screw holes.

Here's a pic from a couple days ago. As you can see, it looks just like day one.

Of course, this is only what I've done. I'm sure there's those who will recommend other things which may work better.
Attached Thumbnails
Deck Beam Flashing-img00206-20110710-1801.jpg  

Last edited by dpach; 07-13-2011 at 02:18 PM.