Deck Beam Connection To Post? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Deck Beam connection to Post?

I have a beam of 2 - 2x12's screwed together and bolted together every foot. I have concrete piers 3' below grade. I was not 100% confident in my ability to get the height exactly perfect for the beam to rest on the anchor post bases, so I set the concrete forms a little lower just to be sure. When he inspected my footings, the local building inspector suggested that I could simply rest the beam on the concrete (instead of using the sandwich beam which was on my original drawings for the permit) and shim the beam up to the proper height.

My problem is that the shims are right at the point where the anchor post base should be nailed into a post (or in my case the beam resting on the anchor post base). How do I nail these anchor post bases to the beam or post given my height challenge? I've attached two photos of the shims that are causing me grief.

Given the height of the deck and the grade of the yard, and allowing for another connection for a set of stairs one concrete pier has a short post (6"). I am almost ready to connect that 6x6 post to the base and the constructed beam. Photo is attached and the proposed connectors are being held in place. Does this look right to someone who knows more than I do?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Shim1.pdf (97.2 KB, 1043 views)
File Type: pdf Shim2.pdf (87.4 KB, 803 views)
File Type: pdf Short_Post.pdf (83.9 KB, 833 views)

Advertisement

CNJHomeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

I Would Cut And Run A Strip Of Simpson Cs20 Straping Under The Post Base And Up The Girder And Nail It To The Top . And Drill New Holes Into The Post Base Just To Grab A Few 10's Into The Beam.
I See You Installed Sono Tubes, What I Do Is Install The Tubes Into The Ground On There Big Foot Base's And Back Fill Them. Then I Shoot A Laser Line On The Tube At My Desired Height. Mark And Cut With A Skill Saw. This Might Help On You Next Project.my Heights Are Just About Always Dead On. Bob

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #3

It is funny you mentioned strapping - a friend stopped by earlier in the project and when I explained the construction, he was surprised that the township did not require strapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
I Would Cut And Run A Strip Of Simpson Cs20 Straping Under The Post Base And Up The Girder And Nail It To The Top . And Drill New Holes Into The Post Base Just To Grab A Few 10's Into The Beam.
Some follow up questions -
1. Where can I get the strapping? I tried a local lumberyard and they looked at me like I had two heads.

2. Is the purpose of the strap to keep the beam, shim/post and anchor post base together?

3. I presume the strapping starts in the side (new holes) of the anchor post base, goes up over the beam and comes down the other side and again connects to the side (new holes) of the anchor post base. But to confirm - Does the strapping start under the post, at the side of the anchor post base (with new holes to nail into the shim), or under the anchor post base?

4. Given that I have 6x6 anchor post base, 6x6 post/shim, on the short post, I am planning on using an LPCZ to connect the beam to the post. On the really short (aka shimmed) posts I will also need a filler/shim for the width to fill the space in the anchor post base since the beam is only 2-2x12's. I presume the strap should be connected to that as well to keep it in place.

Thanks for your guidance
Old 08-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNJHomeowner View Post
It is funny you mentioned strapping - a friend stopped by earlier in the project and when I explained the construction, he was surprised that the township did not require strapping.

Some follow up questions -
1. Where can I get the strapping? I tried a local lumberyard and they looked at me like I had two heads.

2. Is the purpose of the strap to keep the beam, shim/post and anchor post base together?

3. I presume the strapping starts in the side (new holes) of the anchor post base, goes up over the beam and comes down the other side and again connects to the side (new holes) of the anchor post base. But to confirm - Does the strapping start under the post, at the side of the anchor post base (with new holes to nail into the shim), or under the anchor post base?

4. Given that I have 6x6 anchor post base, 6x6 post/shim, on the short post, I am planning on using an LPCZ to connect the beam to the post. On the really short (aka shimmed) posts I will also need a filler/shim for the width to fill the space in the anchor post base since the beam is only 2-2x12's. I presume the strap should be connected to that as well to keep it in place.

Thanks for your guidance
#1 you can get it at any lumber yard. its called Simpson CS20 coil strapping it comes in a 250' roll
#2 yes
#3 your going to cut a strip long enough to go under the post base teco opening in the bottom and bend it up both sides and over the to and nail it . the idea is to secure every thing to the base teco
Old 08-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #5

The Simpson CS20 is available only by special order at lumber yards around me (central NJ).

Given that it comes in a 250' roll - and I need about 50' - does anyone want about 200'?

I drew out what I planned to do and dropped it off at the building inspector. I figured I'd be safer getting this approved in advance rather than having him tell me it still is wrong at the framing inspection.

BuletBob - Thanks for your assistance!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #6

Anytime! Let me know how you make out. BOB
Old 08-07-2008, 10:41 PM   #7
Custom Deck Builder

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNJHomeowner View Post

Given that it comes in a 250' roll - and I need about 50' - does anyone want about 200'?
Simpson makes several straps - the MSTA (Zmax) is 1 1/2" wide and comes in multiple lengths - 12", 15", 18", 21", 24", 30", 36", 49"
Figure out the length strap you need for each post/beam connection, and how many and order only those. No need to buy an entire roll...

Mac
BuiltByMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltByMAC View Post
Simpson makes several straps - the MSTA (Zmax) is 1 1/2" wide and comes in multiple lengths - 12", 15", 18", 21", 24", 30", 36", 49"
Figure out the length strap you need for each post/beam connection, and how many and order only those. No need to buy an entire roll...

Mac
Thanks MAC you just talked him out of sending me the remainder of the roll. only kidding, yes I wasn't thinking about the MSTA'S it slipped my mind. knowing there is always an open roll on the truck. that was the first thing that came to mind. Thanks again for the clarification. BOB

Advertisement