Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #1

Share |

Deck Advance

So, I'm assuming it'll cost less to build a deck for a patio than putting in a paved patio. I was quoted $3500 for a paved patio. My question is, what do I need to do to build a deck, I have about 4in clearance from the ground to where my door opens up freely. So, my wife mentioned we could just get 2x6's and lay them down then build off that.

All the DIY guides I've seen don't do that and use cement blocks. But with 4in of room of work with, do I really need them?

Would this work if I needed cement blocks?
http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how...dex.html#step1

Last edited by Dinggus; 10-09-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Dinggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #2

Deck Advance

Tell your wife to get back in the kitchen where she belongs. But seriously, your questions says you know absolutely less than nothing about deck construction. By code, the surface of the deck must be below the door opening (typically 4 inches or so). Unless You're planning a sunken deck, you don't have room for one at all.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #3

Deck Advance

2x6 is 5.5 inches thick so you will not be low enough for the door to open.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #4

Deck Advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Tell your wife to get back in the kitchen where she belongs. But seriously, your questions says you know absolutely less than nothing about deck construction. By code, the surface of the deck must be below the door opening (typically 4 inches or so). Unless You're planning a sunken deck, you don't have room for one at all.
No need to be disrespectful with the wife comment.

Do I need to do what code suggests?
Old 10-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #5

Deck Advance

And a wooden deck should not be built that close to the ground. It needs air flow under it or it's just going to rot out.
If the deck or patio is to close to the threshold waters going to make it's way under the threshold.
Get at least three different quotes, but make sure there comparing apples to apples using the same make and style pavers.
There's a whole lot of prep work required to build a paver patio that's going to stay flat over the years.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #6

Deck Advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinggus View Post
No need to be disrespectful with the wife comment.

Do I need to do what code suggests?
No disrespect intended; I obviously do not know your wife. Just my sense of humor at work (unsuccessfully, apparently).

Do you need to do what code says?? Well, that depends on what you're willing to risk. In many places, decks require a building permit and inspections - do something wrong and you don't pass until it's fixed. If you require a permit but decide to build your deck without one, you risk having to tear it out if you're caught. Building permits are usually required to be posted so they can be seen from the street. Guess why - so inspectors driving by can catch scofflaws and nosy neighbors can turn you in (both do happen). Also, unpermitted work can cause problems for you if you ever try to sell your house.

As to the specific height issue, it's a requirement for a good reason. It prevents water on the deck from running into your house through the doorway.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #7

Deck Advance

The other option(not a very good one) is a pad at the door and a step up to the deck.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #8

Deck Advance

Sorry had to say something because the wife was next to me reading it, she laughed though and so did I, lol.

Not much room then to build a deck, lol.

Deck Advance-image-3356750258.jpg
Old 10-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #9

Deck Advance

Concrete pad or interlocking stone is about your only options there.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #10

Deck Advance

Which one is more cost friendly? Everyone that quoted me on a patio like what is already started, is wanting $3k+ for 12x16ft.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #11

Deck Advance

Why not build it yourself?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #12

Deck Advance

To be honest, afraid of how it'll turn out. And get confused on the whole process:

1. Remove grass
2. Dig 6 inches down (correct?) to make slope (how far down??)
3. Pack the dirt
4. Lay gravel
5. Pack gravel (?)
6. Lay sand and level
7. Lay brick
8. Pack brick
9. Lay sand on brick and sweep
Old 10-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #13

Deck Advance

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...ideo&FORM=VDRE
Old 10-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #14

Deck Advance

Thanks, I know how to use the internet. Last time I came to this forum, it was helpful.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #15

Deck Advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinggus View Post
Which one is more cost friendly? Everyone that quoted me on a patio like what is already started, is wanting $3k+ for 12x16ft.
even if a deck is less cost than a paver patio it will be money thrown away, as joe said it will have issues with rot. 2x preservative treated wood is not normally for ground contact so it will not last as long. you'd have to special order ground rated 2x which is more expensive than what you'd walk out with at the Orange Box or other box store, or even a typical lumber yard.

it will also cause the joists to twist since there will be insufficient ventilation under the deck. the bottom of the joists in contact with the ground will absorb moisture and expand, the top exposed to the sun will dry and shrink which in turns causes the joist to twist and cup.

one option not mentioned is placing a concrete slab. it can be stamped and/or stained or left plain. you could install pavers on top of the slab, which could be done in the future when you have the money.

food for thought .....

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote