Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #1

Share |

Dealing with GC issues

Were coming to the end of a 50K+ addition on our home in NJ, a few things have happened with his sub contractors that I want to point out and have him fix or replace.

When doing the siding they removed the front porch light and broke it, it still lays on the ground in front of the home. We had some older wood cabintes in the basement laundry room that my wife was sanding down to do a refinish, of the 8 doors they throw away 6 of them making the project a non issue and us to buy new cabinets.

1 brick was knocked lose and lost from the back porch while they were again working on the siding. While removing the rubish from inside the kitchen area they broke the screen door closer (bent unrepairable).

These are all minor issues costing $100-$200 or so to fix, I don't want to be a jerk about this but I feel the GC should take care of this as his crews were the ones that made the damage.

If I'm wrong let me know, if I'm right I'll take that as well.

08087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #2

Dealing with GC issues

you're right

craig4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Dealing with GC issues

why would you even question whether the GC should take care of the problems. The only one I see as a problem is the doors to the cabinets. I am sure he isn't going to be willing to buy new, or even used cabinets. You should probably think about what you are willing to accept as damages concerning those. The rest should be repaired before your final payment.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
old guy contractor

Dealing with GC issues

The repairs and/or replacement of any damage done to your property is the responsibility of the GC.

My contracts read that all fixtures, doors, windows and anything else that is removed from your house is still your property until the time that you tell me to dispose of it. Period.

You need to estimate a realistic, monetary value on the labor & material it would take to replace your goods.
Make a list.
Do it in your quiet time.
Not in the heat of the moment.
Be reasonable.....then he will be.....
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tcleve4911 For This Useful Post:
itsreallyconc (04-04-2011)
Old 04-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Dealing with GC issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911 View Post
The repairs and/or replacement of any damage done to your property is the responsibility of the GC.

My contracts read that all fixtures, doors, windows and anything else that is removed from your house is still your property until the time that you tell me to dispose of it. Period.

You need to estimate a realistic, monetary value on the labor & material it would take to replace your goods.
Make a list.
Do it in your quiet time.
Not in the heat of the moment.
Be reasonable.....then he will be.....
Some excellent advice in dealing with almost anything.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
tcleve4911 (04-02-2011)
Old 04-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #6

Dealing with GC issues

Have the GC buy new cabinets - of comparable quality.
Sheesh!
RF
rossfingal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Dealing with GC issues

I'm pretty familiar with your neck of the woods. That area is characterized by contractors with stellar reputations for quality and performance (high end firms out on the island), and by contractors that aren't so good (inlanders).

If it were me, I'd be on the guy like white paint the moment something didn't go right. And I'd notify him that day "unless this is rectified, then I guarantee you we're going to have a dispute over final payment."

But that's me. I neither let work happen nor perform work for others without a tightly defined scope that includes a damage clause (and a performance clause, and a warranty).
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #8

Dealing with GC issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie67 View Post
I'm pretty familiar with your neck of the woods. That area is characterized by contractors with stellar reputations for quality and performance (high end firms out on the island), and by contractors that aren't so good (inlanders).

If it were me, I'd be on the guy like white paint the moment something didn't go right. And I'd notify him that day "unless this is rectified, then I guarantee you we're going to have a dispute over final payment."

But that's me. I neither let work happen nor perform work for others without a tightly defined scope that includes a damage clause (and a performance clause, and a warranty).
Thanks to all for the words of wisdom, this project is not at my 08087 zip though it;s at my home up north in Secaucus, NJ.

The GC has been pretty good so far about making things right, I tent to be nit picky and at least I recognize it and don't want to be an ass over minor stuff.

The cabinets are an issue as the old ones were in fact old but would have looked great once we finished sanding them down and refinishing them. In court the judge would do some rough justice and come up with what he/she thought was afair value, certainly not replacement cost. So I'll have to come up with what I think is fair ahead of time.

The other things I want replaced, period, not a reduced value for age.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #9

Dealing with GC issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08087 View Post
Thanks to all for the words of wisdom, this project is not at my 08087 zip though it;s at my home up north in Secaucus, NJ.

The GC has been pretty good so far about making things right, I tent to be nit picky and at least I recognize it and don't want to be an ass over minor stuff.

The cabinets are an issue as the old ones were in fact old but would have looked great once we finished sanding them down and refinishing them. In court the judge would do some rough justice and come up with what he/she thought was afair value, certainly not replacement cost. So I'll have to come up with what I think is fair ahead of time.

The other things I want replaced, period, not a reduced value for age.
Is this the same contractor you freaked out about because the plans were off by 3" ?

New addition 3" off of plans/help!

-- Joe
anesthes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #10

Dealing with GC issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by anesthes View Post
Is this the same contractor you freaked out about because the plans were off by 3" ?

New addition 3" off of plans/help!

-- Joe
That be him!

Also I went into the basement where they ran some electric lines and plumbing, they pulled down a good part of the drop ceiling (not neatly) do they have to replace this or is it assumed that it should be me that does this as they needed access to this area?