Deadbolt And Wood Trim Question - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Deadbolt and Wood Trim question

Im trying to install deadbolts on my front doors but just realized the products I bought will not work as I have wood trim around my doors. It sticks out to about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inches making the products I bought unusable because the deadbolt wont latch. I was wondering if there any other products I should buy or if there any suggestions. Thanks

Advertisement

troymcclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Apprentice

Rewards Points: 75

Mark where the dead bolt will go through the trim; mark it out with a pencil; take trim piece's off after you have the pencil marks, use a utility knife to cut right under those lines, try making it perfect. Then get a real sharp chizel and the lines you made with the utility knife start to chizel right into them slowly. I say use utility knife to make lines under the pencil lines because once you chizel the trim out, it wont fit but take sand paper to make the cut a little bigger so the dead bolt piece can fit.
Thats what I would do. I know you don't want to ruin the trim because one little knick stickes out like a sore thumb. Thats my idea.

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymcclure View Post
Im trying to install deadbolts on my front doors but just realized the products I bought will not work as I have wood trim around my doors. It sticks out to about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inches making the products I bought unusable because the deadbolt wont latch. I was wondering if there any other products I should buy or if there any suggestions. Thanks
I don't really understand what you're trying to say here. All doors have trim and none of it impacts a deadbolt installation. The strike plate gets installed into the door jamb about 1/2" in from the stop. What's the issue with the trim molding?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpComingBuilder View Post
Mark where the dead bolt will go through the trim; mark it out with a pencil; take trim piece's off after you have the pencil marks, use a utility knife to cut right under those lines, try making it perfect. Then get a real sharp chizel and the lines you made with the utility knife start to chizel right into them slowly. I say use utility knife to make lines under the pencil lines because once you chizel the trim out, it wont fit but take sand paper to make the cut a little bigger so the dead bolt piece can fit.
Thats what I would do. I know you don't want to ruin the trim because one little knick stickes out like a sore thumb. Thats my idea.
thanks vm. I guess im really hoping for a product that deals with this issue. But you cant have it all it seems!
Old 05-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I don't really understand what you're trying to say here. All doors have trim and none of it impacts a deadbolt installation. The strike plate gets installed into the door jamb about 1/2" in from the stop. What's the issue with the trim molding?
Ron
I have thick pine molding around all my doors, it is in addition to door frame i guess. The doors shut inside the pine trim/molding which sorrounds the door.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymcclure View Post
I have thick pine molding around all my doors, it is in addition to door frame i guess. The doors shut inside the pine trim/molding which sorrounds the door.
I'm with Ron on this. I'm scratching my head. Any way you could post a clear, close-up photo of what you're dealing with?

Do you mean your doors have had a frame added to their faces for decoration, making them too thick for the depth of the deadbolt to work with the frame nailed on there?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post

Do you mean your doors have had a frame added to their faces for decoration, making them too thick for the depth of the deadbolt to work with the frame nailed on there?

YES!!! Its hard to explain, my bad! Thats exactly it.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #8

Willie, nice job with the interpretation!
Just take a hole saw, one size up from the outside dimension of the deadbole and cut just through the trim. Install the deadbolt as usual.
Another possible option is to contact the manufacturer to see if they have parts to modify the lock so you can use it without the door modification. Basically longer screws and the tabs that connect the two cylinders.(or the cylinder and the latch.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #9
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

This is how the bigger hole (the one that will just clear the diameter of the deadbolt cover) will look.

Inside this hole, you will drill a smaller hole, one the size that the paperwork that came with your deadbolt calls for.

All the big outside hole is for is just to be able to get down to the surface of the original door face with a neat hole that will accomodate the fat keyhole part.

I drew this trim MUCH fatter than it really is so you could get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Deadbolt and Wood Trim question-door-hole-1.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Willie T; 05-18-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote