Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Deadbolt trouble

In the market for changing deadbolts in home. My wife was out and picked up a set and the deadbolt is not flush with the door. Is this the standard size any more? Im trying not have to cut the door hole bigger to fit. (Due to it being steel). Any reccomendations? Any brand name that I should look at one rather than another? We are figuring around 50-, that is a deadbolt with door handle included.

68MHJCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Deadbolt trouble

What part isn't flush? At the edge of the door, is there too much sticking out, or is the deadbolt too wide for the thickness of your door.

You probably got the wrong backset depth. Measure the hole and its proximity to the edge of the door and take that info to the store where you're getting the deadbolt. The measurements will be on the packaging, so you should be able to determine compatibility.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Deadbolt trouble

Standard size for the cross bore hole is now 2 1/8". In the past ,Schlage required a smaller hole that was less than 2". But most of the newer lock manufacturers now require a 2 1/8" hole.

There is a ring on the back of some models of Titan locks that can be flipped around ; and ,this sometimes will allow you to fit the lock in a smaller hole. Some of the inexpensive brands of locks have a smooth back that will also allow you to install them in a smaller hole. You will need at least room for the tailpiece to operate freely and for the two machine screws to be fastened from the back of the lock to the front.

Cutting the hole larger will be difficult for the average person, especially on a steel door. For one thing there will be no place for the pilot bit to drill a small hole to keep the hole saw from wandering; because there is already a big hole in the spot ,where the pilot bit should be inserted into solid material. I have tools that enable me to do this ; but, the average person would not have these tools available.
Handyman Jim Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Deadbolt trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Jim Noonan View Post
Cutting the hole larger will be difficult for the average person, especially on a steel door. For one thing there will be no place for the pilot bit to drill a small hole to keep the hole saw from wandering; because there is already a big hole in the spot ,where the pilot bit should be inserted into solid material. I have tools that enable me to do this ; but, the average person would not have these tools available.
Would mounting two hole saws on the same mandrel work?

I'm thinking that if they both would fit on the same mandrel, the smaller saw could be centered in the smaller hole to hold the 2 1/8 inch saw steady over the same center as it cuts a larger hole.

Large flat washers could be used to mount the smaller hole saw out a bit further than the larger one, if that proved to be a problem.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 07-12-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:37 AM   #5

Deadbolt trouble

Nestor,
Yes, if you had good quality hole saws especially for the 2 1/8" hole; using two hole saws ,as you have described would work. Cutting through a steel door requires a sharp good quality hole saw and a steady hand.

I use a Boring Jig and the hole saws ,that I use have a built in mandrel so I couldn't double up on them.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
The Carpenta!!!

Deadbolt trouble

I hope this helps

Take a 2x4 stud. Cut it down to about a foot longer than the width of your door. About 6 inches down one end cut your 2 1/8" hole with a hole saw and your drill.

Remove your door and your locking hardware. You don't have to remove your hinges unless one gets in the way of the 2x4. lay the 2x4 over the door and line up the 2 1/8 inch hole with the old deadbolt hole. Its relatively easy to center this with your eye.

Clamp the 2x4 to the door from both sides. Very important! If you use a 2x4 that is too short or only one clamp the hole guide will shift and mar your door anyway.

The 2x4 will allow you to drill the new hole without the drill bit drifting and marring your door.
I WILL PERSIST UNTIL I SUCCEED.

Last edited by ManMythLegend; 07-13-2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: clarification
ManMythLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
The Carpenta!!!

Deadbolt trouble

Just to be safe...

If you're clamps don't have rubber caps on the feet protect the bottom side of your door from the clamp with a piece of scrap carpet or thin piece of wood.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
The Carpenta!!!

Deadbolt trouble

Duh...I should have said this to begin with but some lock sets now come with a litte pin to change the backset. Have you read the instructions? (I'm sure, but I gotta ask.)
Old 07-14-2008, 08:21 AM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Deadbolt trouble

What you can do is take a small piece of 1/2" plywood and bore a 2-1/8 hole through it either 2-3/8" or 2-3/4" from one straight edge (depending on the backset of the deadbolt you plan to use). I would use a piece of plywood large enough to get some hefty C-clamps on. Place your plywood "template" against the door making your straight edge even with the high side beveled edge of the door. Align your template vertically so that the 2-1/8" hole is centered on the same line as the latch bore in the edge of the door. Clamp a piece of 1/2 scrap plywood to the backside of the door. Holesaw the door using the plywood template as a guide. The pilot drill will enter the scrap piece on the back to finish the hole on the opposite side. Alignment is important, as is keeping your drill straight. Everything needs to be clamped securely to prevent shifting (without crushing or marring the door of course).
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 586

Deadbolt trouble

Starrett makes a hole saw to enlarge a small hole similar to Nestor's idea.
Added, but for one hole, I'd either locate a direct fit dead bolt or make a centering jig as legend or maintenance suggested.

Last edited by 47_47; 07-14-2008 at 10:04 AM. Reason: added
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 150

Deadbolt trouble

Thanks for the input! I went to look at more deadbolts and knobs.....Wondering if there was a set that didnt need cutting of the door. Like it was stated up above this may not be an easy task since the initial hole has been drilled. I did measure prior to my trip to the hardware store and the hole openiong is only about 1.5" wide (a Kwik Set is in there now). I have put a few deadbolts in...in my time but the all seemed universal. This is though in fact an older steel entry door with steel outer casing foam and wood interior aprox 30 of age. FYI I have (3) doors to do and all may be the same situation. Good thing is after the first one or two the third will be a breeze. ha ha I hope
68MHJCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:32 AM   #12
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Deadbolt trouble

If you can find a Schlage B160P (single cylinder) or B162P (double cylinder), it will fit in a 1-1/2" bore. You can omit the adapter rings used for the 2-1/8 bore. Those are some OLD Kwiksets that use an inch and a half cross bore.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:29 AM   #13

Deadbolt trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
If you can find a Schlage B160P (single cylinder) or B162P (double cylinder), it will fit in a 1-1/2" bore. You can omit the adapter rings used for the 2-1/8 bore.
After I saw the reply from Maintenance 6 , I called my supplier just to check availability.

However,I found that, this model schlage had been discontinued, He also said that there is a PLS brand model D160(single cyl.) and D162 (double cyl.) which is a copy of the Schlage models and are on a Schlage keyway that you could try to obtain and may be available.

You may be able to get either the Schlage(if someone has any left ) or the PLS from a local Locksmith supplier ,who also sells retail ,or search for a supplier on line. Or you could try to enlarge the hole as others have suggested.

Last edited by Handyman Jim Noonan; 07-15-2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: clarification