Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #1

Share |

Dead Site?

It would appear that this site is now dead.... correct me if i'm wrong.

carpious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:20 PM   #2

Dead Site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpious
It would appear that this site is now dead.... correct me if i'm wrong.
It has always had is up and downs. I wouldn't call it dead :confused:

Old 12-04-2006, 02:11 PM   #3

Dead Site?

WOW a reply!! Just wondered. I decided to do the 'BAD' wall myself and it wasn't so bad. Just took me 3.5 hours instead of the 1 hour for a plasterer! But looks good, a little sanding needed here and there! But nothing really. A helpfull reply would have been appriciated that was all. ( To my 'BAD' wall post. )
Old 12-04-2006, 07:06 PM   #4

Dead Site?

I try and keep a eye on this site to help others. I mostly reply to areas I am somewhat knowledgeable. There are others on here that seem to do the same. Many questions can remain unanswered. It's hard to have expert advice in all topics. I have before answered my own questions for others after discover answers else were.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #5

Dead Site?

KK, Whats the best course of action with 'small' damp patches? I keep finding them and although they ain't too big, large amounts of plaster and render fall off, back to brick, and I would like to know what the best form of action is? I have been using GYPROC multifill, is this gonna be o.k.? This is only localised 'damp', I think.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #6

Dead Site?

I'm not that knowledable about plaster, although I've done some in my own home. If I understand your problem correctly, it sounds like you might be better off doing those areas in layers, with through drying between applications. Hopefully that would solve the damp spots.
Bev
bevanndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:23 PM   #7

Dead Site?

Thanks for the reply, Iv'e been P.V.A ing the 'spot' prior to filling with the multifill, the cause of the spots is under repair, ( a small leak in the side of the extension's roof. ) These 'spots' have been getting worse for years i think, well before 3 months ago, when i took it over! Does anyone know if the P.V.A will be sufficent to keep the newly filled hole in place? When you say layers, what would be the best substance to use?

Many thanks, in advance.

Keith.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:44 PM   #8

Dead Site?

You said previously that the plaster fell off, back to the brick. As I said previously, I'm not that knowledgeable about plaster. I had to replaster my wet plaster walls in the kitchen and in one area, I had a hole with nothing behind it. I used a screen type thing (bought at hardware store) to adhere to the area around the hole and attached it from behind (don't ask...that was tuff). I then filled it in with plaster. I'm not sure how sturdy it is, but after light sanding, priming and painting, it looks fine. I just wouldn't put much pressure on that area. I tell you all this, because I'm thinking .... since you seem to have brick behind your plaster, you already have a solid foundation for the plaster, whatever type you use. I used a pre-mixed (don't remember the name) plaster, comes in a plastic pail. Sorry, that's all the info I have on it. Lol, after re-reading this reply......I'm thinking "How much help is that?" Sorry!
bevanndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #9

Dead Site?

Thats fine, thanks very much for the reply. I'm probably worrying too much as mine looks good too!
Any more advice on repairing damp patches would be appriciated, for future reference. Thanks in advance.

Keith.