Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: Have you ever used a day labor staffing agency?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Have you ever used a day labor staffing agency?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Day Labor Hiring

Have any of you ever used day labor agencies like Labor Ready / Labor Finders / Command Staffing / etc to hire unskilled workers? What is the experience like?

How "good" are the people you're sent?
How well does the process work? Love it or hate it?
Does the agency take care of all administrative paperwork (I9s, W2s, etc), as well as payroll and workers comp for the unskilled workers? How helpful is that?

I'm trying to understand the the process of hiring unskilled workers better - would love to hear from folks who have hired before from a day labor center / staffing agency.

mcss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Day Labor Hiring

I haven't used any of these services, so I can't comment on how good the workers are. However, I think that the whole point of the service is to supply you with temporary workers without the headache of hiring them yourself, so I don't think that you would be responsible for anything other than paying the company that is hiring them out. I9's, W2's, etc. should be an issue for the the labor company - not for you.

MrSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

Day Labor Hiring

No joke, the relationship I had with one of the staffing agencies ended the day the worker called me up at 8 am asking me for bail money and a ride home from jail.

Aside from that, the temp agency takes care of everything. They send a bill, and you pay it.

From my experience in hiring them when the economy was booming, the temp agencies were chock full of people who for whatever reason (and I heard some pretty whacky ones) had trouble showing up on time, staying the whole day, maintaining consistent attendance, and being left unattended with a worklist for more than 2 hours. I also ended up getting cleaned out of all my copper fittings.

Never again.

Also, in my neck of the woods, these are called temps. Day laborers are the guys you see hanging out around the corner from the supply house, jumping into the back of vans and pickups.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,456

Day Labor Hiring

I’ve used their help a couple of times and was never really satisfied but you never know who revolves through those doors. You might get lucky.

I have also have used them when I needed some temp help and I had someone in mind but didn’t want to deal with payroll so I would run my guy through them. They took care of everything for a percentage. At that time it was money well spent and I’d do it again.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,458

Day Labor Hiring

If all you need is a warm body with the attention span of a tse tse fly then use 'em. Don't mind the wobbling either...that usually wears off in about three hours.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Day Labor Hiring

I have used Labor Ready type places with mixed, leaning to negative results. It depends to a point on the quality of the management. Most do not know the available workforce until the doors open early AM. Management's fault. They are computerized.

Even with advanced notice, they never seem to know who will be around to work. As mentioned, it is often about a collection of guys supposedly willing to work but not willing to perform well, or not able to do so wobbling or twitching until around noon when the contents of a hip flask or a few snorts kick in. I've had no choice but to send some right back to the agency. In fairness, those sent who did work out were more than worth the money and the agency did do all the paperwork. I lived in a college town and a lot of good kids worked for Labor Ready there and were just fine. They do drug/alcohol screen applicants but not on a regular basis after in the system. I don't pass judgment but I don't like people impaired, or getting over it, on my job sites and within or outside my client's homes!

I have to be honest with you. I usually get labor from Spanish speaking labor temp places. It helps that Spanish is my second language I guess but they have translators. The workers are screened, legal, and work their asses off until I almost have to force them to take breaks. They always show up on time even if holding a severed leg in hand, sober, and never complain. I pay their agencies what I do Labor Ready but never worry whether I will have a crew if I give advanced notice. The workers usually seem grateful for the work and don't cop lots of attitude. Once set to task, I find I do not have to supervise much. If you do not speak Spanish? The people running the places will translate needs and treat you well and send a worker that speaks enough English to communicate with you and the rest of the crew you need.

Stealing jobs from us tall free white and single white guys? Bull****. Re-read my Labor Ready comment about coming to life around noon. I treated the Hispanics like I would anybody else but they were willing do anything safe I asked of them.

Sorry, I have not dared hire parking lot dregs and day laborers. I leave them for sleeze ball roofing contractors (who never, ever worked on my projects). Do at least give yourself the protection of a temp employee even if it costs you more than minimum, or as some think alright, less under the table (Fastest way to get in trouble on the planet by the way. All it takes is one pissed off, drugged out employee offering you paid under the table and outside the system and the nightmare begins. Do not do it unless you are enslaving your own teens or those of neighbors to clear out bushes or something!).

Last edited by user1007; 07-06-2011 at 06:48 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-06-2011)
Old 07-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,458

Day Labor Hiring

Quote:
I usually get labor from Spanish speaking labor temp places. It helps that Spanish is my second language I guess but they have translators. The workers are screened, legal and work their asses off until I almost have to force them to take breaks. They show up on time, sober, and never complain. I pay their agency what I do Labor Ready but never worry whether I will have a crew if I give advanced notice. The workers usually seem grateful for the work and don't cop lots of attitude.
That has been my experience also.

oh'mike (07-06-2011)

Tags
day labor, hiring, unskilled