Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction


Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Damp patches in kitchen walls

I live in a 'Coronation Street' type terraced house with a small kitchen added on to the back room. I have lived here a year and over the past four or five months I have notice great big damp patcehs across the back corner wall. I think the wall is just stone built with a plaster board attached on the internal side as the room is very cold with no form of heating. How do I get rid of these damp patches without having to replace the pasterboard?

imported_robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:30 AM   #2
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 488
Rewards Points: 250

Damp patches in kitchen walls

Hi Robbie

Without stopping the moisture from getting to the plasterboard drying up the patches won't happen. The water maybe coming from condensation. This would require insulation and a vapor barrier to solve. If it is a seepage or leak threw the wall it could possibly be waterproofed from the exterior. Also don't forget to check up higher and make sure you have no leaks coming from above.

MgMopar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.