Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2006, 03:17 PM   #1

Share |

Damp, Crumbling bricks & Blown Plaster

I live in a small terraced cottage built in about 1870, It is back of pavement close to a busy road. My problem is when we decided to redecorate all was fine until we started on front wall, the plaster was blown in areas so I thought I would hack it off and patch plaster. By the time I had finished chiping of blown plaster the whole wall was back to brick. The bottom half of the wall seemed to be covered in cement based plaster (Very Heavy), top half ordinary plaster. Anyone know why?? Some of the bricks seem to have lost there structure and are so crumbly I,m sure I could remove them with a dyson. Is this a problem?? The brickwork does not seem to be damp apart from the first course of the floor. Is my damp proof course broken?? Have seeked advice from builders but not sure if there advice is good, they want to pva brickwork then plasterboard off battons. Need some good impartial advice. *** Please help Me Fix my lounge*** Many thanks in advance.

crscrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:24 PM   #2

Hi,

Sorry - I can not offer any advice. Sadly I have the same problem with crumbling brickwork. However, the bricks in question in my 1900 terrace house are in the chimney.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve

fritzlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #3

You seem to have rising damp. The damp usually gets drawn up the plaster and in most cases stops around 1 to 1.5 Meters high. Once the plaster is contaminated it breaks down and becomes crumbly. The wall needs to be treated by applying a sand and cement render with a waterproof and salt inhibitor additive. When the render coat is dry a plaster finish coat can applied.
The source of the damp should also be rectified and you should check the external wall DPC is clear from bridging by pathing, earth or render. Also check external pointing or if rendered check for cracks.
It may be worth having chemical DPC treatment for added protection.

As a guide the cost for this should be around 550 - 650 for a 10 Sq Meter area
ArticJack is offline   Reply With Quote