Damp Basement Wall. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2007, 12:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

damp basement wall.

Hello to all.
We live in Chicago burbs. Every winter during heavy snow after the snow melts we observe a mild dampness in one corner of the basement walls. We moved into the house 2 years ago. It appears that the previous owner had sealed/patched some water/moisture seepages in the same corner area as our home inspector had observed the patching.

Now after a snow storm we again observed water/dampness in the same place. It is a very small area but (20 inch by 2 inch) i am wondering what I can do to completely eliminate this problem. I am attaching a pic of the basement wall. One can see that the wall was patched before to avoid water seepage and it seems to be working fine. However one area of the patch is now again moist/wet. The wet patch is just on the corner edge as I have indicated in the image (labeled MOIST DAMP AREA ).

What shall I do. Any advice will be deeply appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
damp basement wall.-wet-basement_1.jpg  

Advertisement

itguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

damp basement wall.

What sort of problem is this causing? I think I'd probably just ignore it. It doesn't appear to even be enough to prevent you from storing stuff on the floor in that corner.

Advertisement

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:52 AM   #3

damp basement wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHanson View Post
What sort of problem is this causing? I think I'd probably just ignore it. It doesn't appear to even be enough to prevent you from storing stuff on the floor in that corner.
Thats what we have been doing since we moved into the house. We just ignored it and it dries off on its own. I am just wondering that by ignoring it, I hope it wont become something major..

Can this area be permanently sealed so this moisture wont come in at all.
itguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:49 AM   #4

damp basement wall.

My understanding is that sealing a basement from the inside is not very effective, because the moisture is under pressure from the outside, so you can't put a coating on the inside that will hold it back.

If there are cracks or seams in the concrete there, then you might cut down on the moisture by sealing them.

I don't think there's any reason to expect it to get any worse though.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:46 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

damp basement wall.

you need to see why it`s happening there,whether from exterior grading ,or a roofing/siding problem traveling down the bearing wall,I wouldn`t leave it alone,especially w/all the mold and health issues,you may not have mold on the cement,but I would want to be sure to eliminate it from the path of the leakage

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #6

damp basement wall.

itguru,

Is there a downspout gutter entering the ground at that location?

Is there a roof structure change close to that location?

Is there a foundation close to the area such as a garage without a basement set back from that area?

Is ther a porch foundation near that area?

That water is originating from above and needs to be stopped otherwise over time it will cause corrosive damage to the reinforcing of the concrete walls.

Please respond

Thanks
Pete A.
Professiona Building Designer
OVE
panthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,278

damp basement wall.

Ayuh,............

Once you fix the Issue allowing the water to gather there in the 1st place,........
Then you can Water-Block it on the Inside..................

It could be as simple as a Low spot in the grade of the lawn..........
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #8
so-elitecrete

Rewards Points: 150

damp basement wall.

as most basements are engineered & built to leak,,, no one likes it but that's what happens w/o the proper exterior steps when installing the footers & walls,,, just be happy you've got conc instead of block,,, & no, there's no interior method that'll permanently resolve this issue, either,,, but follow the suggestions from the responders who advis'd ' look outside ' for the solution.

IF the water's coming in thru a crack or void, you can have the ' hole ' inject'd w/hydrophyllic polyurethanes,,, not a diy project, tho, as you only get 1 chance to d-i-RIGHT ! ! !

might want to also educate your home inspector.

Advertisement

so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote