Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2009, 02:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs down

Damaged Vapor Barrier during home theatre installation..should I be worried?

While trying to route the HDMI cable from the top of the fireplace down to the basement, I punctured the vapor barrier and stripped off some insulation. So now that part of the wall is cooler than the rest of the wall. I have attached a pic for reference:

Thats the place:

The problem is I am not sure if the damaged place above the fireplace is the inside wall or exterior wall since from the backyard, there is a large protrusion of wall right where the fireplace is:

Now, i am getting an ERV for my house soon which will help to control the moisture, should I be worried about the damage to the vapor barrier & the insulation?

wasserkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

If you have damaged the vapor barrier then simply use "Tuck tape" to repair it. I can't see to well with the pic you have, but it looks like you are also missing sealing your vapor barrier to the bottom plate. This is what we normally do. It also looks as though you have no overlapping joints. If you do have any, then they too will need to be taped. I usually do a fold overlap staple and then tape to help insure a nice tight seal on my vapor barrier.

fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

also tape around your electrical outlets. I would of used sealed outlet boxes, as they will prevent air movement through your electrical boxes.
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote