Damaged Sill Plate/ Rim Joist - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Damaged Sill Plate/ Rim Joist

I have an 8 foot section of my sill plate in the crawl space that has completely rotted away. The rim joist over this span has started to rot, and is deteriorating. This happened many years ago, and the house has already settled into its new place. The floor joists are now resting on the foundation.

I found the source of this problem (a concrete pad underneath the deck), and had it removed.

My question is, since I have removed the source of the problem, and the house has already settled, can I just leave the damaged sill plate/ rim joist? Or is the house in danger of collapsing because the rim joist is mostly deteriorated?

The sill was only 1/2" thick, so there isn't really anything noticeable since it settled (there is a slight dip in the hardwood floor above).

Advertisement

bignateyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Try driving in waxed 1/2" thk 2 by wood pieces with the leading edge beveled. Their length is your sill plate width. Use a wood block between the wedge and your maul to prevent splitting the wedges.

Advertisement

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
Try driving in waxed 1/2" thk 2 by wood pieces with the leading edge beveled. Their length is your sill plate width. Use a wood block between the wedge and your maul to prevent splitting the wedges.
ok, that would take care of the sill plate. What about the rim joist? Is having a damaged rim joist ok as long as the source of the damage is taken care of?
bignateyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,518

Wax wood will not fix your problem but a few pictures from the inside and out would be a good start.

One story house or three?

Last edited by kwikfishron; 04-28-2010 at 06:57 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignateyk View Post
What about the rim joist? Is having a damaged rim joist ok as long as the source of the damage is taken care of?
If it serves the same purpose as bridging, wouldn't additional bridging close to the joists fix this?

Last edited by Yoyizit; 04-29-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote