Cutting Trex Transcend - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cutting Trex Transcend

I am building a 13' x 16' deck out of Trex Transcend. The deck will have a border consisting of 1 board running around the perimiter. The inside field will be cut on a 45 deg diagonal.

I am wondering if I can lay the diagonal field first. Making it a little oversize. And then come back and trim the ends so they are all even. Also, is there a way to make the boards come out even, so I don't have a small piece at the end corner?

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

rsmith0399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,522

Cutting Trex Transcend

I am wondering if I can lay the diagonal field first. Making it a little oversize. And then come back and trim the ends so they are all even.

Yes you can, much easier.

is there a way to make the boards come out even, so I don't have a small piece at the end corner?

Not sure Iím following you on this one. If you run diagonal you will end up with a small piece at both ends.

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 03:26 PM   #3

Cutting Trex Transcend

I mean I would like the short boards at each corner of the diagonal to be full width boards. Not ripped pieces.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Mod

Cutting Trex Transcend

The only way to really do that is about mid way through start pulling measurements to the end then figure out for example, at the rate I’m going now I’ll end up with a 4” rip at the end. Then you can slightly adjust your gap so boards are either gaining ground or losing ground to the end so you end up with a full board.

You can figure what gap you need from the beginning but you still need to check and re-check and make adjustments along the way.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 05-13-2010 at 06:55 AM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,022

Cutting Trex Transcend

Only thing to think about is the joist spacing; depending on Trex board thickness and the angle of the boards to the joists, the minimum spacing needs to be kept at specification. 1"x boards need joists 12" on center, not 16".
See link for info on page 18:
http://www.trex.com/litcenter/Trex_I...tion_Guide.pdf
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #6

Cutting Trex Transcend

I finally finished my Trex ground level deck. I like how Trex Transcend looks and it cuts easily.

I did find mold on the boards from being stacked in the rain for a few weeks. It was covered with plastic, but that just made it an oven. I will have to see how it does in the open air.

About 30% of the boards were warped, either somewhere along the run (16') or at the end. The end pieces had to be cut off in order for the boards to lay flat. Otherwise the ends would be sticking up after it was installed.

The Transcend is a composite wrapped with a layer of plastic. The plastic covers the top and sides, and about a 1/2" around the bottom edges. I found that the exposed composit on the bottom had about a 1/16" or more crown. This meant when I put a screw on on side of the board, the opposite side would rise up about 1/8" or more. To make the boards lie flat I used a hand planner and removed about 1/16" down the middle of the length of the boards.

Other than that everything turned out pretty good. I will have to wait and see how everything holds up.
Attached Thumbnails
Cutting Trex Transcend-img_0297-copy.jpg   Cutting Trex Transcend-img_0304-copy_edited-1.jpg   Cutting Trex Transcend-img_0311-copy.jpg   Cutting Trex Transcend-img_0313-copy_edited-1.jpg  
Old 06-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
Mod

Cutting Trex Transcend

Nice job.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #8

Cutting Trex Transcend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Only thing to think about is the joist spacing; depending on Trex board thickness and the angle of the boards to the joists, the minimum spacing needs to be kept at specification. 1"x boards need joists 12" on center, not 16".
See link for info on page 18:
http://www.trex.com/litcenter/Trex_I...tion_Guide.pdf
16" at 90 deg page 18

Advertisement

Barnettdeck is offline   Reply With Quote