Cutting Through Rim Joist - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

cutting through rim joist

I want to replace a wall-mount kitchen faucet with a deck-mount faucet, and am trying to determine where the plumbing is within the wall, if it is accessible from under the sink. I cut through the wall under the sink, only to find that there is a 2x10 or 2x12 board inside the wall, and the pipes appear to be on the other side of this board (between it and the exterior brick). I don't know the terminology, is this a rim joist, sill plate, or something else? Can I cut through it to access the pipes? There is wall cavity on both sides of this board. The house is single level, on slab foundation. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

sm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
knewbie

Rewards Points: 75

Is the 2x running between the studs or under them? If it is between the studs then it's not structural and its probably there to hold the water lines in place. A pic would be helpful.

Considering it's a single 2x I assume its not structural in any circumstance but theres no telling without veiwing its connections and such.

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for your reply. The board runs between the studs. Since it's on a slab foundation, I can't imagine that it's load-bearing, but I don't know what restrictions there might be on cutting through it.
sm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
knewbie

Rewards Points: 75

I would imagine it is just blocking, depending on its location in the wall it could be there for several different reasons, cabinet nailer, hold water lines or maybe its an exterior wall and its holding the faucet line for outside.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

i would have to agree with curapa. Being your on a slab there should not be any rim joist. which makes me believe it was put there to hold the pipes. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote