DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutting my throat at 30k for 30x40 complete with cedar siding?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Gary in WA 
#1 ·
Was hoping for a little imput here.. I have done several building projects including 2 of my own homes from grade work up. Now planning on building a detached garage fr someone I know.. am I way under bid at 30k? Thi project will take place in minnesota..
Details: 30x40 detached garage. Monolithic slab with thickend edges, full fpsf insulation under whole slab and 12"vertical wing insulation burried 12" deep around perimeter, 2 course split face block, 2x6x92-5/8" walls on top of block, 5 1/2 / 12 pitch with spread web trusses 2' oc.. 1/2" osb 30lb felt and ice and water as required and coverd with steel panel roof.. 24" eve and gable overhangs.. cedar siding, soffit, facia installed and stained.. install 8x16 overhead insulated door, entry door, 4 windows, and steps to attic storage with 3/4" osb decking.. also included in price is a 20x30 aprin with 2" 250 stryrene under with perimeter wing insulation...all slab work will be cut and sealed..grade work has been done but may need more fill.... full material cost is running around 22k.. its an easy cut garage for me, but am I too low at this quote? I know that there are plenty of overhead costs to consider like a boom for setting rafters and rental and gas costs... I do have my own skidsteer wit a jib lift for setting walls.. any imput is great.. thanks.

#2 ·
rusticlife said:
Was hoping for a little imput here.. I have done several building projects including 2 of my own homes from grade work up. Now planning on building a detached garage fr someone I know.. am I way under bid at 30k? Thi project will take place in minnesota..
Details: 30x40 detached garage. Monolithic slab with thickend edges, full fpsf insulation under whole slab and 12"vertical wing insulation burried 12" deep around perimeter, 2 course split face block, 2x6x92-5/8" walls on top of block, 5 1/2 / 12 pitch with spread web trusses 2' oc.. 1/2" osb 30lb felt and ice and water as required and coverd with steel panel roof.. 24" eve and gable overhangs.. cedar siding, soffit, facia installed and stained.. install 8x16 overhead insulated door, entry door, 4 windows, and steps to attic storage with 3/4" osb decking.. also included in price is a 20x30 aprin with 2" 250 stryrene under with perimeter wing insulation...all slab work will be cut and sealed..grade work has been done but may need more fill.... full material cost is running around 22k.. its an easy cut garage for me, but am I too low at this quote? I know that there are plenty of overhead costs to consider like a boom for setting rafters and rental and gas costs... I do have my own skidsteer wit a jib lift for setting walls.. any imput is great.. thanks.
How did you miss the sticky on pricing at the top of the page?

#4 ·
"How much will it cost?" Asking for price estimates here.

Thank you for posting your question on the DIY Chatroom.

This is a message pertaining to your question here at DIYChatroom.com.

Questions involving pricing, such as – “How Much” certain projects cost (i.e. - certain repairs, renovations, square-footage pricing, additions, decks, etc., etc.) – cannot be properly answered simply by information posted on an internet forum (regardless of how much information is supplied in a particular post). There are many, many variables, which also involve site visit(s), existing conditions, final designs, local codes, local-rates, material preferences, inspection costs, permit fees, etc.

1.) Pricing for materials may be determined at your local supplier(s).
2.) Prices for subcontracted work are best determined by getting legitimate local contractors to submit written estimates (3 are suggested) and always checking references before hiring anyone.
3.) The industry generally suggests allowing a minimum of 20% buffer, over the assumed budget, for incidentals, unexpected points, material overages, etc. (For average basic-scope projects). On the other hand, rehabs and damage-repairs - tend to be an, all together different % ++ buffer allowance).

We encourage you to continue to post other Do It Yourself related questions on this site.

Now, you may decide to push (insist), and continue on to ask the same question(s), however, please be aware that some members may treat your post(s) with disdain (and even irritability). Most experienced members will simply point (link) you to read this sticky. The thread itself may even be closed (as it is unrelated to DIY topics).
Even if you were to find someone willing to give you a guess-timated, 'ball park' figure, there is no way to gauge such blind figures as accurate. Actual costs can vary tremendously.

An example of this type of question and it's responses may be seen here: dry wall cost

Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.