Cutting A Large Hole In Brick Veneer - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 158

Cutting a large hole in brick veneer

Hi!

I'm looking at installing a garage heater and I'd like to cut a 5" hole through an exterior wall. The wall is built like this....

outside -> brick veneer (maybe 4x8 bricks) -> housewrap -> foam board -> plywood -> inside garage area

My first question is, can I just get a 5" core drill bit and drill all the way through? Should I cut through the brick first, make an 'x' in the housewrap so it doesn't tear it out, and drill the rest of the way through?

My other set of questions is if I wanted to have somebody install the thimble, who can I call for it? HVAC guy? Construction guy? Mason? Also, does anybody have any ideas of what kind of price I'd be looking at to have somebody do it for me? I live outside of Chicago, but a ballpark figure would be good.

Thanks!!

Advertisement

wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,332

Look up concrete cutting or concrete coring--

It will be a bit costly and coring on a wall is a pain as the coring drills weigh a lot--

Any good HVAC company could install the thimble.

Often the hole is made by drilling a bunch of smaller holes with a masonry bit and a hammer drill--then the center is removed with chisels --the escutcheon ring on the thimble must be large enough to hide the rough edge of the hole if you go that route.

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 158

thanks for the response and the tips. The large coring bits are also expensive. I think at amazon, they are about 70 bucks.

Beyond the brick, what do you do with the housewrap and foamboard? Is it save to remove it, or will I be making a future problem with water coming in?
wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,332

Just cut it out---not a problem.

The coring bits are cheaper now than years ago---We figured $100--an inch for the good ones--
$500 for a 5" cutter.

Made you cry when someone ran it into rebar and wrecked one.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

You will need a minimum of 1" clearance from any combustables to the vent pipe, so your hole throught he inner sections will have to be bigger.

Mark