Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
I have gas!

Share |

Cutting into top plate.

I need to cut out the top plate of an exterior wall to install a beam (triple 11 7/8" LVL). This beam is used to open up a small sunroom (labeled dining area in the pic) for an open concept. I want to push the beam up as much as possible and that involves cutting out the original 4x6 top plate. Once I cut out the top plate, how do I tie the new beam to the top plate? Keep in mind that the original top plate is 3 1/2" wide and the beam is 5 1/4" wide.
TIA

Old 11-02-2010, 05:59 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to reality

Cutting into top plate.

Go to the simpson catalog they have everything you will need. You can Google this and download pdf files. There are plenty of retail stores that carry them.

reality is offline   Reply With Quote