Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

cutting hollow folding door

I want to cut the bottom of a hollow core (masonite-veneered) folding door.
1: Can I reblock the bottom even if I remove 2-1/4"? The rough opening height is to be 1-1/2" higher than the door, (manuf detail) to afford the track, hardware brackets etc... My question is, can I go ahead and cut more than 2" from bottom and reblock without any issues?

2: what's best way to cut the door? Good side facing up or down? Tape the masonite or not? I know sometimes its good to tape down veneer tops when cutting...

Thanks in advance to all those who took time to read/reply, and sorry if its too wordy...

TedM

Terry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
Woody

it's not a problem to do this. score your cut line with a utility knife and run your saw blade on the side of the score line that will be your cut-off. then measure the size of the hollow pocket and cut a piece of wood to fit in there. apply some wood glue and clamp it in place. when the glue dries drill a new hole for the pivot in the same location as the old one and your all set.. note: you may find strips of cardboard in the door after you cut it. just push them into the door far enough to allow room for the wood block.

Phuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
SDC

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry M View Post
I want to cut the bottom of a hollow core (masonite-veneered) folding door.
1: Can I reblock the bottom even if I remove 2-1/4"? The rough opening height is to be 1-1/2" higher than the door, (manuf detail) to afford the track, hardware brackets etc... My question is, can I go ahead and cut more than 2" from bottom and reblock without any issues?

2: what's best way to cut the door? Good side facing up or down? Tape the masonite or not? I know sometimes its good to tape down veneer tops when cutting...

Thanks in advance to all those who took time to read/reply, and sorry if its too wordy...

TedM
1. Yes you can cut 2 1/4". If you have a table saw, use it to "clean up" the edges of the bottom block, to remove the left over door skins. if you reuse the existing filler block, all the proper holes will be where needed.

2. If you are cutting the door with a circular saw, tape the area to be cut, score it with a knife and cut good side down.

3. Glue the block (the one you removed) back in and let set up before putting weight back on the door. once the block is in and set-up, run a block plane over the edge to relieve it, takes the edge off.(just a touch). I will also pin nail the bottom block through the ends, not through the door skin.

4. good luck, I hope I explained it well enough...
SDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick and detailed responses. This is a great knowledge-sharing group. So far its great! I'll be cutting that door soon enough.

Thanks again to all those who responded.

TM
Terry M is offline   Reply With Quote