Cutting A Hole In Stone Foundation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cutting a hole in stone foundation

Hi,
I have an addition project going on, and basically what I have run into is I need to put a hole in the stone foundation wall between the addition and existing house. I have 2 questions:

1 - Can I cut a 5 inch round hole without comprimising structure? and if so

2 - Anyone have any recommendations on how to cut a hole in a stone foundation wall?

Thanks

Advertisement

casualty x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:34 AM   #2
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

A 5" hole will not compromise the structure provided you do not drill it in the angle area from a window or door (Where concrete habitually cracks).

Use a core hole bit for a rotary hammer drill, good chance you will have to rent since most DIY don't own $ 2k tools. You have two options, a handheld or one you mount to the wall and usually run water through it's much easier to work, but you need space to hang and operate, handheld is more compact but requires patience and skill.

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

... Bring a chair ...