Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
Solutions (handyman)

Share |

Cutting drywall for electrical outlets.

I am installing some drywall in a garage and think I might try using a dremel with a drywall cutting bit. I think ... I mark the hole location, put the drywall up (but not screw too much) then cut around the electrical boxes. Is this the best way? In the past I'd use a knife or drywall handsaw, but I'm open to new and more efficient ways. Thanks.

Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #2

I'd practice on scrap a bit so you get the feel of the tool. They can "run" if you don't control them.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Mark Harvey (03-25-2010)
Old 03-24-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

The 'trick' is to make very sure all your wires are pushed way back in the receptacle box so that the tip of the drywall bit cannot reach them.
Next, plunge the spinning tip somewhere inside the box.
Run the bit around the perimeter of the inside of the box, and let the piece of D/W fall out.
Again plunge the tip into the drywall, but this time just outside the box.
You are going to trace the outside perimeter of the box this time.
The spinning tip will pull itself up tight against the box if you are going in one direction (this is good, and desirable)
But if you are going in the wrong direction, the tip will grab into the drywall, and veer out away from the box (not good... avoid doing this)
Experiment to see if you should be guiding the tip in a counterclockwise direction or a clockwise direction to achieve the desired 'pulling-in' toward the edge of the box that you need. (I can't tell you which direction because it depends upon the rotation of the electric tool you will be using..... experimentation will quickly show which is right.)
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
Mark Harvey (03-25-2010)