Cutting Cultured Marble - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2010, 12:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

cutting cultured marble

I would like to see if anyone knows what would be the correct blade or tool to cut cultured marble .

Advertisement

redbird_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,476

cutting cultured marble

DIAMONDS are marble's best friend you can get away w/any apron store blade for a 4" grinder cutting dry,,, just be sure you cut safely & make use of your dry vac as there'll be tons of dust

a pro would use a blade that's relatively got a harder segment ' bond ' ( matrix ) as marble's soft compared to granite which would req a softer bond segment,,, but that's all ' zen ' cutting - unless you cut a lot, its not expensive to use up the cheap blades

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

cutting cultured marble

Yep, diamond would be my choice, but a good carbide blade will work. It won't cut much after that, however.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-23-2010)
Old 12-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

cutting cultured marble

Actually I found another cutting method: I use a "die grinder" powered by compressed air and have a four inch (4") x 3/32" thick abrasive wheel mounted on it. I know--everyone doesn't just have one of these lying around, but I do. I have found that this cuts cultured marble very clean, although it makes lots of dust. I have even cut one curve with this set-up. Just my way, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

cutting cultured marble

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird_1967 View Post
I would like to see if anyone knows what would be the correct blade or tool to cut cultured marble .
Well - "RedBird" - Ask yourself if any time in the future if you plan on trying your hand at laying some ceramic or porceline tile, if the answer is yah I think I might try that someday, go out to one of those big box stores and buy yourself a wet saw, could be had for <$100 bucks and then you have one in your arsenol of weapons for the future.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

cutting cultured marble

You can cut cultured marble using a "masonry" abrasive blade in a circular saw also. If this is a vanity top, it's best to turn it upside down to cut it. Have someone right there with a vac to collect the dust. Cut all the way through the first time.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #7

cutting cultured marble

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up going to the hardware store and picked up a 4" dry cutting diamond blade for 10 bucks. It cut great but the dust was everywhere. I used a shop vac and had the overhead kitchen fans on but there was still a lot of dust. The whole excercise was to replace a glass counter top stove, that had been cracked, with a new one. Although the outside dimensions were the same the hole needed to put the stove in was one inch bigger in both the vertical and horizontal dimensions. Thanks again for the assistance.
redbird_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #8

cutting cultured marble

Cultured marble like natural marble should be cut with a diamond disk. Although many like a quick dry cut ... in truth it should be a wet cut, the disk lasts a bit longer and the cut comes out perfect. It's very common for some types of marble based material to chip the edges while cutting so you should be careful.

Advertisement

tomson2101 is offline   Reply With Quote