Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #16
Concrete & Masonry
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,703
Share |
Default

Cutting concrete slab


Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren View Post
http://www.johnstonrentalcenter.com/CreteSaw65hp.html
I'm thinking maybe leaving a threshold a few inches in front of, and to the sides of the door, then having the pavers at least 4" below that should be good, so it meets code like joecaption mentioned (I should - and should have- contact the city to see if I need a permit).
That might be a "tad" big for your project..........

Most hand held saws (like a 14" gas saw) should have the ability to flip the guard around to get even closer, within an inch or so. I personally wouldn't create a step there unless you need to because the yard drops off quick or something. The wood framing is plenty high above the patio...........

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 24
Default

Cutting concrete slab


Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
That might be a "tad" big for your project..........

Most hand held saws (like a 14" gas saw) should have the ability to flip the guard around to get even closer, within an inch or so. I personally wouldn't create a step there unless you need to because the yard drops off quick or something. The wood framing is plenty high above the patio...........
Thanks jomama. I was always suspicious that there was a problem with the perimeter drain tile (it's that corner of the crawl space that gets the bulk of water intrusion, and sure enough, when I ran a hose into where the downspout on the other side of the patio enters the system, after a couple of minutes it started to back up. Isn't that pipe supposed to have a "sock" around it to prevent silt from entering?

I think maybe I should have just left the patio alone and just cut out enough concrete to run the downspout and the drain away from the house, but too late now.
Attached Thumbnails
Cutting concrete slab-003.jpg   Cutting concrete slab-009.jpg   Cutting concrete slab-016.jpg  
McLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: atl & hilton head
Posts: 3,146
Default

Cutting concrete slab


no reason to use a sock'd unless the pipe's perforated,,, we line the excavated trench w/soil filter cloth instead,,, most select a sock'd pipe 'cause they see it at the apron / vest stores,,, most pro's don't use it as it allows silt much closer to the pipe
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #19
Concrete & Masonry
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,703
Default

Cutting concrete slab


If that pipe services that surface drain in the patio it should be solid pipe that leads to grade to dump out, ideally. Perferated pipe, like in your picture, is generally used to collect water and move it, and should have plenty of free-draining stone surrounding it........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 24
Default

Cutting concrete slab


Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
no reason to use a sock'd unless the pipe's perforated,,, we line the excavated trench w/soil filter cloth instead,,, most select a sock'd pipe 'cause they see it at the apron / vest stores,,, most pro's don't use it as it allows silt much closer to the pipe
At first I thought "apron store, what's that," then ohh, I get it, big box store.

I'm pretty sure that it's just sitting in the mud, but regardless, it's plugged. Hopefully, a drainage company can unplug it.
McLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 24
Default

Cutting concrete slab


Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
If that pipe services that surface drain in the patio it should be solid pipe that leads to grade to dump out, ideally. Perferated pipe, like in your picture, is generally used to collect water and move it, and should have plenty of free-draining stone surrounding it........
Yeah, my plan is to run a solid 4" pipe with holes on the bottom through a trench with about 6" of 3/4 - 1" gravel at the bottom and above, and have it run far enough away to a point where the lawn slopes away from the house (that's about 18').

McLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building Floating Deck over ground and Concrete slab jagnew Building & Construction 2 05-27-2012 12:10 PM
concrete porch slab questions Queso Bandit Building & Construction 2 06-29-2011 10:31 AM
Fix or Replace Porch Concrete Slab Majoram Building & Construction 10 06-25-2011 02:45 PM
Help stone over concrete slab Johnnyquest Flooring 0 05-20-2011 03:36 PM
Concrete slab to foundation work tntgarv Building & Construction 3 02-28-2010 12:23 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.