Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2010, 03:04 AM   #1

Share |

Cutting concrete foundation for door, is it safe?

Hi
My house is located on a sloped neighborhood; I am planning to build an entrance for my basement and doing that requires foundation cut. Part of the foundation that has to be cut is about 5 feet high and there is a window opening on top of it. About 3 feet of the foundation is buried from the out side due to the slope. My house is 2 a story house (basement plus 2 levels) but the part of foundation that is getting removed is supporting only one level. Is it safe, structurally, to do this cut?

Thank you all in advance

Mossiliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:43 AM   #2

foundation or bsmt wall ? ? ? big difference ! ! ! diamond saw OR jackhammer/chipping gun ? ? ?

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #3

How do i identify if it is basement wall or foundation? it looks more like a wall as it is 5 to 6 feet high. I dont have any preference for cutting device, which one is better?

Thanks
Old 06-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #4

oh boy ! ! ! generally, 1 can actually SEE a bsmt wall while the footer ( foundation ) is hidden underneath it

your wall has a preference diamond sawing is vibration free & provides a smooth surface upon which 1 can attach door jambs chipping guns leave an EXTREMELY rough jagged surface requiring repair mortar & grinding,,, don't take this the wrong way but, if you don't know the difference, hire this job,,, don't let testosterone make a out of you.

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #5

Not reccomended. Concrete is different from pour to pour (some you can practically put a screwdriver through). You start pulling the support from under your home or the bearing pressure of the soil around you home and it caves in your foundation. Your gonna be sorry or someone could get killed. This is something you should leave to the professionals cause then you can be assured you wont end up with door issues, collapsing of walls, flooding, improper engineered openings (causing worse issues through the whole house). When you break a wall it will be cantilevered with no support @ the opening. Nobody here can tell you if your gonna be safe doing what your thinking of doing unless they go and do the soil, concrete and structural testing as an accountable professional. Soil bearing pressure has many many factors so dont chance this one.

FYI Steer clear of this DIY

Just my two cents
Bldg 2 Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #6

Check with your LOCAL Building Department. Soil pressure, opening to close to a structural corner, right angle wall tie-in, header sizing, wall shear flow continuity above, are a few things that may come into play. (Update your Homeowners Insurance for this). http://www.servicemagic.com/article....lls.13696.html

Be safe, Gary
Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossiliza View Post
How do i identify if it is basement wall or foundation? it looks more like a wall as it is 5 to 6 feet high. I dont have any preference for cutting device, which one is better?

Thanks
Post a picture of the window that includes the surrounding area
Whats above the window ?
Cement - how much ?
Wood framing ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:51 AM   #8

Hi
Here are 2 sketches of how this wall looks like. By the way I am not planning to do it my self, I would hire a pro but I just want to make sure that removing part of this wall is gono be ok.

regards
Attached Thumbnails
Cutting concrete foundation for door, is it safe?-inside.jpg   Cutting concrete foundation for door, is it safe?-outside.jpg  
Old 06-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #9

Do the floor joists end on that area or do they run parallel ?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #10

You shouldn't have an issue converting this to a door. How you proceed will depend on whether this wall is load bearing or not. If it is, you will need to built a temporary wall inside to carry the load until the framing is installed with the proper sized header.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #11

how thick is te concrete?
how much concrete will be left above the door?
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #12

How can I find out about the floor joints? the wall is around 12" thick
Old 06-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #13

If the top of the window is already as high or higher than the top of the door will be, and the window is wider than the door, and the door will be where the window is, then the window header is already taking care of everything above and you don't need to worry about the floor joists. All you need to worry about is whether your footing is deep enough to still be below the frost line when you remove the dirt.

I have never heard anyone refer to a foundation as being just the footer. Around here the foundation is the combination of the footer as well as any concrete walls or slabs that the structure bears on.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
If the top of the window is already as high or higher than the top of the door will be, and the window is wider than the door, and the door will be where the window is, then the window header is already taking care of everything above and you don't need to worry about the floor joists
Not always true on older houses
I have floor joists landing on the top of my basement windows without any header
Old 06-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #15
Mod

I'd have to agree with jogr, the opening is already there and removing material below it would have no effect on anything bearing above.