Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2009, 05:00 PM   #1

Share |

Cutting Concrete Floor

Hi. I have a corner shower I want to install in my basement I am finishing. The rough-in is not where I need it to be so I need to break the concrete to lower the 2" PVC about 7". The trench will be only about 20" long.

What is the best way to go about cutting or breaking the concrete? Can I use a circular saw and a concrete blade?

Thanks

Stace

sdlehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:59 PM   #2

Cutting Concrete Floor

we cut the top 1" w/demo saw & diamond blade then finish w/60# bosch brute elec hammer.

itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Cutting Concrete Floor

Make sure you don't have a post tensioned slab, if you cut one of the cables you are in for more excitement than you ever want to have.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #4

Cutting Concrete Floor

I have a local guy I have used - he cuts concrete for a living. He's very good, has all the right tools, and charges reasonable money for medium and small jobs if given flexability of day/time. Not worth me paying tool rentals to do the job myself. You might call around and see what someone would charge.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #5

Cutting Concrete Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlehman View Post
Hi. I have a corner shower I want to install in my basement I am finishing. The rough-in is not where I need it to be so I need to break the concrete to lower the 2" PVC about 7". The trench will be only about 20" long.

What is the best way to go about cutting or breaking the concrete? Can I use a circular saw and a concrete blade?

Thanks

Stace
A sircular saw might not get deap enoghyou may have to rent a gas 14 inch saw with a diamond blad then mack severall cuts about half inch apart untill you get your desired width the should break out prety eazy with a hamer and chisal
Dvunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Cutting Concrete Floor

This is my "weapon" of choice.

You can use a little water (responsibly of course) and have very little dust, zero fumes, & very little work. These can be a little harder to find than a gas equivalent at a rental store, but much safer to use inside. Make sure you understand the safety manual before running any concrete saw.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:29 AM   #7

Cutting Concrete Floor

jo, who's izzat saw, husqie ? we've got 12" bosch but need to have a spare so i'm thinkin' another 12" & keep the bosch for backup,,, btw, we don't saw ALL the way thru for trenching,,, just enough to give us a straight finish'd edge when the conc's replaced,,, we used to be sawing, coring, drilling, & demo contractors in nyc before coming to sweet-home-altanta-georgia,,, ps - gfci plug-ins help made sure we get to go home dislike mixing elec & wtr too often
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:56 AM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Cutting Concrete Floor

IRC, it's a 14" Partner/Husqy. We always run small amounts of water with them, no problems. The motor is pretty well protected, I've never been shocked. The most important thing is to keep the plug out of the water.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #9

Cutting Concrete Floor

Thank you everyone for your quick replies. I got impatient and used a sledge hammer and chisel. It took awhile but got the job done.

Stace

sdlehman is offline   Reply With Quote